Director of Tax
San Francisco /
Upgrade is a fintech unicorn founded in 2017. We are the fastest-growing company in the Americas (Financial Times). In the last five years, over 15 million people have applied for an Upgrade card or loan, and we have delivered over $10 billion in affordable and responsible credit. Our innovative Upgrade Card is the fastest growing credit card in America (Nilson Report). Combining the flexibility of a credit card with the low cost of an installment loan helps us redefine banking.
Upgrade has been named a “Best Place to Work in the Bay Area” three years in a row, one of the “Top Companies to work for in Arizona”, and we have received awards for being a best company for Diversity, Women, Culture, and Veterans.
We are looking for new team members who get excited about designing and delivering new and better products to join a team of 900 talented and passionate professionals. Come join us if you like to tackle big problems and make a meaningful difference in people's lives.
The ideal candidate is a resourceful, independent, self-starter who manages voluminous tax matters. You have strong time management skills and a proven record of success working in a fast-paced, evolving environment. We are looking for a team player, always willing to roll up their sleeves and provide assistance to the finance team.
- Prepare quarterly tax provisions in accordance with GAAP
- Manage, investigate and resolve any tax authority notifications, domestic and international
- Manage income filings -- all federal and state income tax filings, including overseeing the calculation of the provision, developing processes to calculate and reconcile deferred tax assets and liabilities, and ensuring timely filing and payment of all extensions and returns.
- Monitor future tax legislation, research the impact on the Company's financial position, and work with Chief Accounting Officer and external partners to advise on the best position to optimize tax planning
- Evaluate and apply for local, state and federal tax incentives in the U.S. and Canada
- Design and implement controls to ensure the Company's tax liabilities and financial statements are accurate and in compliance with local and state laws as well as GAAP
- Become the go-to tax person, acting as the internal and external point of contact for all tax-related inquiries and analysis
- Lead continuous process improvements and integration of various aspects of the tax function to achieve optimal efficiency, effective controls, and quality
- Plan and execute global tax strategies in compliance with regulations
- Assist with ad hoc projects, as needed
- 8 to 10 years of experience in Big 4 public accounting, private industry or both
- Experience with Quarterly & Annual Tax Provision Process
- Experience with preparing and filing US sales tax returns
- Experience identifying and implementing international sales tax compliance and
- Experience working with NetSuite, a plus
- Exposure to global transfer pricing rules and regulations
- Education: BS accounting preferred;
- CPA required
- Demonstrated writing skills a must; proposal development experience desired
- Demonstrated management skills.
- Strong tax research and writing skills
- Strong accounting and analytical skills
- Strong computer skills: proficiency in Tax software, Excel and Word
- Excellent interpersonal, communication skills
- Detail oriented and ability to multitask
Benefits / Perks:
- Designer office with amazing views of the bay!
- Comprehensive benefit package: medical, dental, and vision.
- Unlimited vacation policy.
- Flexible working environment.
- Conveniently located in San Francisco Financial District.
- Close to BART and public transportation.
- Kitchen stocked with beverages, snacks and treats.
- In office game rooms, yoga room, and abundance of lounge space.
- Monthly social gatherings.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
California Employee Privacy Notice
Effective Date: 1/1/2020
Notice to Applicants for Employment, Employees, and Contractors:
This California Employee Privacy Notice is intended to provide California consumers who are employed or apply for employment or a contractor position with Upgrade information about the categories of personal information Upgrade collects and how the company uses this information. For any questions about this notice, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Personal Information Upgrade Collects:
Identifying information: including name, address, email, telephone number, social security number, driver license number, passport number, and other personal identifying information. Information you provide as a part of a job application or from a background check performed after a job offered is extended, including employment, education, credit, and criminal history. Data on work productivity and performance, including hours worked, electronic network activity, and tasks performed.
- Purposes for Collecting Personal Information:
To consider applications for employment. To complete payments, including payroll, expense reimbursement, other compensation-related payments, and the administration of stock options. To administer benefits, including medical, dental, vision, commuter, and retirement benefits. To provide human resources services and conduct performance evaluations. To monitor work eligibility including work-related licenses, credentials, training, and eligibility to work in the United States. To ensure a safe and efficient working environment. To comply with applicable legal or regulatory requirements including state and federal company reporting obligations.