Associate General Counsel, Servicing & Collections
Upgrade is a consumer credit platform that is changing how people think about credit. We use technology to innovate and create responsible and affordable credit products that help our customers understand and manage their credit better.
Our founding team pioneered online lending over a decade ago and launched Upgrade in 2016 using their experience and the latest available technology to make credit more transparent and affordable. While Upgrade is very well funded with $142 million in equity capital, we’re still in the early days and you have a great opportunity to make your individual impact towards our collective mission.
Upgrade has been named a “Best Place to Work in the Bay Area” by the San Francisco Business Times and Silicon Valley Business Journal.
We are looking for new team members who are excited about creating, designing and implementing new and better solutions to join a team of just over 300 talented and passionate professionals. Come join us if you like to tackle big problems and make a meaningful difference in people's lives.
We are looking for Associate General Counsel to partner with Upgrade’s servicing and collections operations team in our Phoenix office. As Associate General Counsel you will be responsible for partnering with the business to drive servicing and collection activities and develop new business processes and products. You will be a senior member of the legal team. The ideal candidate will have experience with federal and applicable state laws and regulations governing servicing and collection of current and delinquent consumer debt, including demonstrated application of consumer protection laws and regulations such as TILA/Regulation Z, ECOA/Regulation B, FCRA Including Red Flags Rule, FACTA, FDCPA, SCRA, EFTA, UDAAP and GLBA.
- Evaluate business proposals related to collection strategy, and assist operations and collections leadership in revising collections and loss mitigation strategy initiatives, and assist with drafting and documentation of related policies and procedures.
- Liaise with bank partners and internal company leadership on loss mitigation and collections issues, policy review, and new initiative proposals.
- Work with servicing and collections teams to ensure new technology (e.g. phone systems/auto-dialers, servicing systems, etc.) is implemented in compliance with the law.
- Serve as a senior subject matter expert for diligence and monitoring of collections and default servicing vendors, specifically in regards to legal requirements and emerging legal/compliance risk issues.
- Assist internal servicing and collections leadership in defining and enforcing service-level-agreements that apply to external collections and servicing vendors.
- Track regulatory updates from both state and federal agencies in regards to collections and default servicing topics, and ensure Upgrade’s practices comply with the latest developments.
- Communicate developments, operational issues and upcoming initiatives to the rest of the legal and compliance teams to ensure understanding of enterprise ripple effects.
- 8-15 years experience in loan servicing activities with at least 5 years of in-house experience.
- Ability to work collaboratively with servicing and collections team, as well as other members of the legal, compliance and risk management teams in a fast-paced environment to drive business initiatives.
- Ability to demonstrate sound business judgment and interpersonal skills to negotiate actively with internal and external parties.
- Must be a member in good standing of the State Bar of Arizona or state of residence.
- Self-motivation and a willingness to take ownership of projects.
- A team-player mindset, pitching in wherever needed.
- Interested in taking an active role in helping to build a great company.
- Deep understanding of consumer credit products and related legal issues; prior experience with marketplace lending a plus.
- A passion for delivering access to new products designed to help consumers better understand their credit and make responsible credit decisions.
- Great OPEN office environment!
- Conveniently located in the heart of downtown Phoenix.
- Close to light rail and public transportation.
- Comprehensive benefits package: medical, dental, vision, HSA / FSA, life insurance & disability.
- Paid parking
- Monthly Wellness Incentive Program.
- Paid time off.
- Kitchen stocked with beverages and snacks.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.