Senior PostgreSQL Database Administrator
San Francisco /
Technology – Technology Operations /
Upgrade is a fintech unicorn backed by a top 10 global bank and other leading fintech investors. Founded in 2017, Upgrade has already delivered $3.5 billion in consumer credit and achieved $125 million in annual revenue run rate and cash profitability.
Upgrade is building a neobank offering exceptional value to mainstream consumers, including affordable and responsible credit through cards and loans. In 3 short years 10 million people have already applied for an Upgrade Card or loan.
Upgrade has been named a “Best Place to Work in the Bay Area” by the San Francisco Business Times and Silicon Valley Business Journal 3 years in a row, and received “Best Company for Women” and “Best Company for Diversity” awards from Comparably.
We are looking for new team members who get excited about designing and implementing new and better products and join a team of 350 talented and passionate professionals. Come join us if you like to tackle big problems and make a meaningful difference in people's lives.
This is a remote position based anywhere in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Lead the design, development, implementation, monitoring and maintenance of Upgrade's data management systems.
- Lead the development of standards and procedures to maximize DBMS performance, scale-ability, resilience, security, and data integrity.
- Highly motivated and self driven.
- Enjoy learning new technologies and applying that to solving problems.
- Enjoy collaborating and working in small teams.
- Technically strong and hands-on.
- Good at multitasking and thrive in fast pace environments.
- Methodical, thorough, and solution oriented.
- Proficiency in administering PostgreSQL v9.5+ database servers running on AWS. We are not an Oracle shop.
- Proficiency in PostgresSQL backup & recovery, upgrade, patching, and performance tuning.
- 7+ years of experience administering production, always-on, high throughput, OLTP RDBMS's with the last 3+ years administering Postgres.
- Advanced knowledge of SQL query execution, execution analysis & optimization, indexing strategies, partitioning etc.
- Advanced knowledge of SQL schema modeling and evolution.
- Proficiency in various RDBMS replication strategies.
- Experience with geo-redundant database deployments (active/active, active/standby, etc.) is a plus.
- Solid Linux fundamentals including kernel and OS tuning, as they relate to DB performance and security.
- Familiarity with Sarbanes Oxley, PCI DSS, and other security practices is a plus.
- Excellent troubleshooting, documentation, and communication skills.
- Experience with other database management systems is a plus.
- Designer office with amazing views of the bay!
- Comprehensive benefit package: medical, dental, and vision.
- Unlimited vacation policy.
- Flexible working environment.
- Conveniently located in San Francisco Financial District.
- Close to BART and public transportation.
- Kitchen stocked with beverages, snacks and treats.
- In office game rooms, yoga room, and abundance of lounge space.
- Monthly social gatherings.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Candidate Privacy Notice
Effective Date: 1/1/2020
This California Candidate Privacy Notice is intended to provide California consumers who are employed or apply for employment or a contractor position with Upgrade information about the categories of personal information Upgrade collects and how the company uses this information. For any questions about this notice, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Personal Information Upgrade Collects
a. Identifying information: including name, address, email, telephone number, social security number, driver license number, passport number, and other personal identifying information.
b. Information you provide as a part of a job application or from a background check performed after a job offered is extended, including employment, education, credit, and criminal history.
c. Data on work productivity and performance, including hours worked, electronic network activity, and tasks performed.
2. Purposes for Collecting Personal Information
a. To consider applications for employment.
b. To complete payments, including payroll, expense reimbursement, other compensation-related payments, and the administration of stock options.
c. To administer benefits, including medical, dental, vision, commuter, and retirement benefits.
d. To provide human resources services and conduct performance evaluations.
e. To monitor work eligibility including work-related licenses, credentials, training, and eligibility to work in the United States.
f. To ensure a safe and efficient working environment.
g. To comply with applicable legal or regulatory requirements including state and federal company reporting obligations.