Lead User Experience Designer
Technology – Product Management
===== About Upserve =====
Upserve is the industry's leading full-service Restaurant Management Platform. In a single platform, Upserve offers the market-leading cloud point of sale for restaurants, actionable analytics, and seamless integration with leading third-party restaurant apps. Thousands of restaurants use Upserve to manage relationships with more than 32 million active diners, and to serve over 23 million meals per month.
Upserve is headquartered in Providence with additional offices in San Francisco, New York City and Denver. We believe that culture is a competitive advantage, and treat it as such -- our values of One Team, Impact, Empathy, Openness, Curiosity and Grit guide our daily actions. Learn more about what that means from our blog - https://upserve.com/inside-upserve - or by following us on Twitter and Instagram (@InsideUpserve).
If you love making things happen, owning the product design lifecycle, and seeing people use your work, we’d love to hear from you.
As the lead product designer at Upserve, you will deliver great products to help thousands of restaurants across the US create great guest experiences. Our products are purpose-built for restaurants and include Breadcrumb Point of Sale, a Reporting and Analytics platform, diner loyalty and online ordering platforms, and more.
You’ll work closely with product managers, product marketing, and engineering to deliver experiences that help restaurants operate more efficiently, deliver better hospitality and generate more profit. You’ll own our design process, leading brainstorms, research and testing, user journey mapping, design review sessions, and development of our design language. You’ll deliver thoughtful UI/UX experiences that are ready for engineering and you’ll work closely with our front end engineers to continuously improve our design and delivery processes.
This is a high-visibility, high-impact position reporting directly to the Vice President of Product.
- A strong portfolio featuring web and mobile interfaces with 3+ years of experience in visual design and or user experience design
- Knowledge of Lean Design, HCD, or Design Thinking principles.
- Proficiency in design and prototyping software (Balsamiq, Sketch, XD, Invision, Axure - tools for wireframing and prototyping).
- Understanding of the technologies that power our products (React, JS, native apps, CSS, etc. )
- Experience managing design process and delivery end to end, including design asset management.
- Experience with user testing, A/B testing and funnel optimization (UserTesting.com, Optimizely, or others).
- Excellent communication, leadership and collaborative skills. (You will run brainstorming, training and design review sessions.)
- Ability to incorporate both quantitative and qualitative feedback into design iterations
- A passion for helping local merchants leverage big data to grow their businesses
- Experience with continuous improvement of processes
Preferred Qualifications/ Bonus Points
- An awesome Dribbble / behance / design blog / website
- SaaS / SMB software design experience
- Experience in a fast-paced, high productivity, start-up environment
About the Team
We’re a small (6 PMs, 2 Designers), fast-moving team. In 2017, we’ve shipped 9 app releases, a new mobile app, diner-facing online ordering, and a dozen updates to reporting and analytics. We stay close to our partners in engineering, customer success, marketing, and sales. We stay even closer to our customers; it’s easy when your customer visits are at restaurants! This role is based in beautiful Providence, Rhode Island.
===== Upserve's "Mise En Place" =====
Above all else, all Upserve employees are united in our shared passion for the hospitality industry, our product, and the impact we can have on the owners and operators we serve. We have a track record of success, with 100%+ growth in the last 3 years. How do we do it? By providing great value to our customers, and by relentlessly focusing on the details - our Mise En Place (everything in its place).
- Our Net Promoter Scores over the last six months are higher than any other SMB software company
- Our SaaS 'quick ratio' and LTV to CAC is exceeding 4x, making us leaders in the market
- Our newest product features enjoy ~70% weekly active users and nearly 50% daily active users.
- Our leadership hails from top companies like OpenTable, TellMe, BrightCove, Microsoft, and McKinsey.
But our focus on excellence doesn't stop there. We offer competitive employee, including the following:
- 100% paid medical and dental coverage with the leading provider nation-wide
- Unlimited Time Off - our policy is "take the time you need, when you need it"
- A "family first" culture, with generous paid parental and caregiver leave
- 401(k) with built-in financial advisory services
- Quarterly wellness weeks, focused on mental, emotional AND physical health
- Catered healthy lunches daily, as well as organic healthy snacks in our office.
- On-Site dry cleaning pick-up for those who want it...and a flexible "come dressed" policy for others!
- Multiple social clubs, including intramural sport leagues and a monthly "supper club"
Last but not least, Upserve is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer! Beyond that, we also care deeply about creating a culture of inclusion, and about improving diversity in tech. We believe in being color brave, not color blind, and partner with a number of local organizations working to improve access to the tech industry for underrepresented groups. These include Project Include, Girls Who Code, Providence IntraCity Geeks, #HackPVD, Code.org, PVD Lady Project, and Rosie's Girls to name a few.