We are an ambitious, well-funded startup with plans to change a $1 trillion-dollar global industry. This is no ordinary startup. We have a proven management team that has done it before, done it before together, and done it before in the travel industry. The company is overflowing with fiercely intelligent people who have tons of energy and an upbeat view of the future. We all act like owners and we get a huge kick out doing great work and doing it fast. We like it even more when we come up with a fresh way to solve a problem. Above all, we are devoted to solving customer problems, because that’s at the center of everything we do.
ABOUT THE GIG
- Work on a five-star Android app as part of an agile, cross-functional team that includes product, UX and design.
- Build mobile features that leverage native capabilities such as geolocation, push notifications and on-device payment
- Have an impact on the needs of Upside travelers that rely on us daily for their on-trip experience. Join a culture that empowers you to take ownership of a feature from start to finish across the entire stack
- We use the latest tools for native development as well as bleeding-edge full-stack technologies. Node, React, GraphQL, Kubernetes, Docker, AWS.
- You are passionate about building native apps that users can’t live without.
- You have 3-5 years of experience in native Android development. You are proficient in Android tools like Android Studio and are familiar with Google guidelines and services, including Material Design and Firebase.
- You’ve been a part of agile software development teams and know all about daily standups, sprint planning and retros
- You've built RESTful JSON APIs before and know your way around GitHub and unit testing
- You understand common Android architecture design patterns like MVP and RxKotlin
- You've used common Android 3rd party libraries such as Retrofit, OkHttp, and Dagger.
ABOUT ENGINEERING AT UPSIDE
We love to ship. We’re completely on the CI/CD train, shipping code multiple times a day. We’ve developed a clustered container environment in AWS using Docker and Kubernetes to manage dozens of microservices written primarily in Node, Go and Python. Our web frontend is written in React/Redux and we’re building native iOS and Android apps that take full advantage of the powerful platforms they run on.
We are positive, passionate, playful, and always pushing to be better. Our team is a hodgepodge of challenge seekers, travel gurus, startup junkies, and data-miners who see the big picture.
YOU WANT TO TALK TO US IF…
You are motivated by disrupting the norm
You have a great sense of humor and take your profession seriously, but not yourself.
Your entrepreneurial spirit drives your bias for action
You are all about constructive feedback - you can dish it out and you can take it
You thrive in the frenetic energy of a startup
WHAT WE OFFER
Competitive salary + equity
Full health, vision, and dental coverage
Open paid time off
Upside Travel is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply. We are committed to being an inclusive place to work, while maintaining a workforce that represents the communities we serve.