Senior Full Stack Engineer
Washington, DC OR Remote /
We are an ambitious, well-funded startup with plans to change a $1 trillion-dollar global industry. This is no ordinary startup. We have a proven management team that has done it before, done it before together, and done it before in the travel industry. The company is overflowing with fiercely intelligent people who have tons of energy and an upbeat view of the future. We all act like owners and we get a huge kick out doing great work and doing it fast. We like it even more when we come up with a fresh way to solve a problem. Above all, we are devoted to solving customer problems, because that’s at the center of everything we do.
- You are a Node.JS enthusiast, eager to build commercial applications with ES6.
- You have years of experience with Angular, React, and/or Vue and have a strong opinion on state in the frontend.
- You have a strong understanding of Microservices and how they are modeled; you have practical experience with technologies like Messaging Buses (eg Kafka, NATS), Protocol Buffers, and Clustering.
- You get easily excited about Continuous Delivery. You know your testing tools and are comfortable with platforms like Docker, CircleCI, and Artifactory.
- You know the modern technical stack from the network up and are incredibly grateful that you can programmatically control all of it thanks to AWS or Azure or Google.
- You have a deep respect for the challenges associated with operating a large-scale system in production, and your designs and implementations reflect that understanding.
- You have 4-8 years of relevant experience and/or a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science. You are looking to get in on the ground floor of a well-funded startup with a proven leadership team. Prior startup experience is a huge plus!
- You’ve built highly scalable products that involve some, or all, of the following components: fault-tolerance, high availability, e-commerce and distributed microservices.
- You enjoy creating unconventional solutions to the most challenging requirements.
- You keep up with the latest industry trends and aren’t afraid to write code to learn new tech.
- You understand that great Engineering teams are built upon relationships, just as much as they are built on awesome code.
ABOUT THE GIG
- Work directly with our President and Engineering Team Leadership in our Washington, DC HQ to design, implement, and deploy critical software systems that will turn business travel from mundane to magical. The critical path to success is to write code that can access multiple APIs in parallel with extremely low latency and store them in a massive data cluster. And do that a few billion times a day.
ABOUT OUR TECH STACK
We’re beyond passionate about using cutting-edge technologies. We've implemented a microservices cloud (AWS) based tech stack that allows for rapid iteration and scaling. We use React and Material UI on the frontend, mostly Node.js with Typescript on the backend, Go for anything performance heavy, MySQL as our main datastore and NoSQL products for certain domain-specific datastores.
While we have preferences as an organization for certain technologies, our microservices-based architecture allows us to experiment with new tech and always pick the right tools for the job if it is called for. Our devops setup allows us to quickly stand up / burn down services, frontends and datastores as business needs change. In short the theme of our tech stack is flexibility. We can quickly stand up things, change them, and scale them up or down as our requirements change.
We are positive, passionate, playful, and always pushing to be better. Our team is a hodgepodge of challenge seekers, travel gurus, startup junkies, and data-miners who see the big picture.
YOU WANT TO TALK TO US IF…
You are motivated by disrupting the norm.
You have a great sense of humor and take your profession seriously, but not yourself.
Your entrepreneurial spirit drives your bias for action.
You are all about constructive feedback - you can dish it out and you can take it.
You thrive in the frenetic energy of a startup.
WHAT WE OFFER
Competitive salary + equity
Full health, vision, and dental coverage
Open paid time off
Upside Travel is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply. We are committed to being an inclusive place to work, while maintaining a workforce that represents the communities we serve.