Mountain View or San Francisco
Upwork is the world's largest freelancing website. Each year $1.5 billion of work happens through Upwork, allowing businesses to get more done and helping professionals break free of traditional time and place boundaries and work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork, you'll help build on this momentum. Together, we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for businesses to connect with extraordinary talent and work without limits.
In this position, you will be responsible for taking on several new initiatives to enhance and scale our applications in a fast growing SaaS environment. Working with other engineers on new micro services that expand our core offering, you will provide deep expertise to help steer scalability and stability improvements early in the life cycle of development. You will be working closely with Engineering groups and use your experience in programming / scripting to instrument, automate, solve problems, deploy and orchestrate the product application services.
- Second level escalation point for resolving technical emergencies
- Iterative analysis, modeling, testing, profiling of various components of the SaaS application
- Solve problems relating to critical services and build automation to prevent problem recurrence
- Maintaining and enhancing deployment scripts, tools, and methodologies
- Working within the engineering team along with developers to build, deploy and lead products to ensure 99.999% application uptime
What it takes to catch our eye:
- You have strong troubleshooting and problem resolution skills
- You work well under pressure and have strong written and verbal communications skills
- Minimum of a combined 4 years of Application Development and DevOps experience
How to really knock our socks off:
- Experience with one or more scripting languages: Python, Ruby, or Bash
- Experience with configuration management/orchestration packages (Chef)
- Experience with Terraform
- Strong experience with Unix/Linux system administration especially in Ubuntu
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you’ll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we’re creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You’ll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you’ll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesday's, daily breakfast and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits … and more. Check out Upwork’s spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.