Lead UX Researcher
Mountain View or San Francisco
Design & UX
Upwork is the world's largest freelancing website. Each year $1.5 billion of work happens through Upwork, allowing businesses to get more done and helping professionals break free of traditional time and place boundaries and work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork, you'll help build on this momentum. Together, we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for businesses to connect with extraordinary talent and work without limits.
As a Lead Researcher on the team, you will have the opportunity to help define the product user experience that matches clients with world-class talent. You will deeply affect products and features that help millions of users collaborate with distributed teams and manage their Upwork activities ‘on the go’ through mobile applications. You will be empowered by a strong user centered design culture with a great research to design ratio .
- Identify and execute on research opportunities as a core member of the product team.
- Conduct strategic to tactical research - From foundational research to refine our understanding of personas and use cases, all the way to concept and usability testing.
- Collaborate with design, product management, marketing, operations, analytics and data science to influence both product and service design.
- Lead and participate in Design Thinking workshops, ensuring teams are ideating with a background in empathy.
- Study our diverse global user-base, crafting studies to test designs remotely and in different cultural contexts.
- Employ a range of qualitative and quantitative methodologies.
- Communicate insights within the product and engineering teams in a format that inspires action.
- Mentor junior researchers on the team; lead small teams of researchers when needed
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Over a decade of experience doing Design Research.
- Demonstrated ability to create useful, research-backed foundational UX documents (e.g Journey Maps, Personas, etc).
- Research presentations that go beyond “bullet points'.
- Mixed methods mastery; experience integrating quantitative and qualitative methods.
How to really knock our socks off:
- Experience working on a marketplace or growth team.
- Demonstrating a knack for asking great questions and reframing research goals.
- Examples of creative research studies using methodologies that might be new to us.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you’ll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we’re creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You’ll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you’ll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesday's, daily breakfast and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits … and more. Check out Upwork’s spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.