Senior Director of Product Management - Domestic Marketplace
Mountain View or San Francisco
Upwork is the world's largest freelancing website. Each year $1.5 billion of work happens through Upwork, allowing businesses to get more done and helping professionals break free of traditional time and place boundaries and work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork, you'll help build on this momentum. Together, we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for businesses to connect with extraordinary talent and work without limits.
As a two-sided marketplace, our business is dependent on building and capturing client demand for talented freelancers and finding the world’s best talent to work with these clients. We have amazing freelancers on our platform and an impressive array of clients including Fortune 100 brands - but we believe there is a step-change opportunity to optimize the dynamics of our marketplaces both within countries and globally. This includes rate optimization, matching algorithms, supply and demand analysis and UI improvements. Your role as the Director of Product Management in Domestic Marketplace is to define the strategy and execution plan for our growth into new domestic markets.
- Identify growth opportunities in our existing domestic marketplaces relating to freelancer rates, category mix, and matching.
- You will lead with a compelling vision that motivates and drives dedication across the organization
- You will optimize existing dynamics of our marketplace and identify and grow new markets.
- Invent, design and build solutions that push the limits of our market dynamics resulting in growth of freelancer earnings and hiring managers spend and retention.
- Work with partners in data science, analytics, product and marketing to frameworks and scoreboards for domestic opportunities.
- Take ownership of the results, tracking critical metrics and use them to drive decision-making about what's next
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Analytical chops for breaking down complex problems and solving them with data. Experience either in Product Management, Business Analytics, Management Consulting, Banking or VC.
- The ability to go broad as well as deep: solving for the bigger picture and long term goals whilst rolling up your sleeves and jumping in when needed
- Flexibility to efficiently pivot and react to rapidly evolving goals and priorities.
- Deep empathy for customer needs, frustrations, and aspirations. Familiarity with designing user experiences and their impact on conversion funnels.
- Compelling written and oral communication skills.
How to really knock our socks off:
- Demonstrated brilliance in solving hard challenges at another two-sided marketplace - especially an aptitude for managing supply and demand.
- A background working in both large and small company environments
- Experience using agile development methodologies with globally-distributed teams.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and creativity, including a willingness to take risks.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you’ll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we’re creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You’ll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you’ll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesday's, daily breakfast and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits … and more. Check out Upwork’s spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.