Head of SEO
Mountain View or San Francisco
Upwork is the world's largest freelancing website. Each year $1.5 billion of work happens through Upwork, allowing businesses get more done and helping professionals break free of traditional time and place boundaries and work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork, you'll help build on this momentum. Together, we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for businesses to connect with extraordinary talent and work without limits.
As the Head of SEO, you will lead a team within the Acquisition Marketing group focused on global new customer growth through the SEO channel. In this role, you will be responsible for the development and execution of a high-impact SEO growth strategy. You will work closely with multiple cross-functional partners within Product, Engineering, Design, Content Marketing, Paid Search, Data Science and Analytics to grow important business metrics associated with businesses looking to hire quality freelance talent from around the world.
- Lead Upwork’s SEO team to drive organic growth.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive SEO strategy spanning technical and non-technical opportunities that exponentially grow our search visibility.
- Provide regular reporting and insights to cross-functional partners and the leadership team around core SEO metrics, including ranking, traffic, CTR, conversion and other key business metrics.
- Achieve adoption or critical SEO practices by core cross-functional teams throughout the company.
- Conduct ongoing SERP analysis of targeted keywords terms, from head to tail, and provide strategy and recommendations for optimizing on-page content and internal link architecture for these terms.
- Identify and handle crawl errors, sitemaps, site speed issues, and any other technical issues that can affect rankings and traffic.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- 3+ years experience leading SEO teams and strategy at a leading company
- Deep understanding of core SEO concepts and practices, with knowledge of how various technologies and web design principles impact SEO
- Adept at implementing content and technical SEO tactics with a cross-functional team
How to really knock our socks off:
- Experience planning and executing SEO A/B tests. Management of conversion rate optimization
- Proficiency in a programming or scripting language
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you’ll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we’re creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You’ll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you’ll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesday's, daily breakfast and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits … and more. Check out Upwork’s spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.