Director, Accounting - GL
Mountain View or San Francisco
Finance & Accounting
Upwork is the world's largest freelancing website. Each year $1.5 billion of work happens through Upwork, allowing businesses to get more done and helping professionals break free of traditional time and place boundaries and work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork, you'll help build on this momentum. Together, we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for businesses to connect with extraordinary talent and work without limits.
The Director of GL & Revenue Operations will lead the Accounting and External Reporting functions for Upwork. This individual will direct and work closely with the Senior Director of Accounting Operations, Director of Escrow Operations and VP Controller and Treasurer to oversee the Company’s GL and Revenue operations including establishing and maintaining accounting principles, best practices, internal controls, collaboration with internal teams such as legal, FP&A and payment operations.
The responsibilities for this role includes the supervision of the overall month-end close with Director of Escrow Operations as well as reviewing financial statements and reconciliations, managing staff and owning elements of the audit. In addition, this individual is responsible for global process re-engineering projects and initiatives, focusing on continuous improvement and transformation of the organization. To be successful in this role, the ideal candidate will have strong leadership skill to navigate the changes in the organization, technical knowledge of US GAAP, excellent organizational and analytical skills, and the desire to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential to succeed in this role.
In this role, you will:
- Work collaboratively with Director of Escrow Accounting (in addition to many cross functional teams)
- Provide strong, hands on leadership, mentoring, coaching and development to direct reports
- Oversee the overall month-end, quarter-end and year-end close
- Review GL account reconciliations and financial statements by entity including cash, fixed assets, prepaids, inter-company, security deposits, accruals, accrued liabilities, T&E, accrual, reserves & retained earnings, and Interco transactions for accuracy in accordance with US GAAP
- Create and maintain a monthly financial executive package
- Responsible for Enterprise Billing
- Work with cross functional groups to discuss accounting issues, areas of concern and any potential improvements to the close process both locally and from a global perspective
- Assist in the preparation of financial statements and financial disclosure information
- Lead the external auditor’s quarterly financial reviews and annual financial audit
- Ensure finance team operates in accordance with SOX policies and procedures, approved desktop procedures and general accounting governance
- Oversee all aspects of financial reporting and together with the Senior Director and Director of Escrow Operations, ensure compliance with financial reporting standards (GAAP, SEC, IRS, etc.), shareholder requirements and regulatory compliance
- Establish, Document and maintain accounting and reporting policies
- Coordinate with external auditors to ensure timely and efficient quarterly reviews and annual audit execution; and resolves any issues or problems encountered during their review/audit process
- Responsible for the development of the accounting team, including staffing, performance management, training and career-pathing
To win in this role, you need
- Minimum 5 years accounting experience in Big 4; 12 years total experience
- Public Company experience is a plus
- Strong technical background in public accounting (GAAP), SEC reporting and SOX compliance
- Experience in Marketplace business or SAAS Industry (preferred)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong problem solving skills, with the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analysis
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop high-performing teams
- Self-starter and strong ethical standards
- Be detail-oriented, flexible, and organized – flexibility to cross-regional time-zones and cross functional teams
- Be able to prioritize workload and perform in a fast paced and challenging environment
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you’ll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we’re creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You’ll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you’ll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesday's, daily breakfast and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits … and more. Check out Upwork’s spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.