Ursa Major is always looking for ways to improve the way we work. From our technology to our operations, we strive to be on the cutting edge. We are looking for a General Counsel that will take the lead across several projects to make what we do at Ursa Major better.
The General Counsel is responsible for leading corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives. The General Counsel provides senior management with effective advice on company strategies and their implementation, manages the legal function, and obtains and oversees the work of outside counsel. The General Counsel is directly involved in complex business transactions in negotiating critical contracts. The ideal candidate is a results oriented, self-guided individual who can operate independently in a fast-paced environment.
This role sits in Ursa Major’s Customer Org and reports to the Director of Finance. It is based in our Colorado headquarters and might require some travel (<5% of time).
- Participates in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs
- Provides continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters
- Serves as key lawyer/legal advisor on all major business transactions
- Anticipate issues and estimate risks strategically
- Draft new agreements and improve upon existing agreements in order to minimize risks and maximize legal rights
- Assumes ultimate responsibility for ensuring that the company conducts its business in compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Oversees the selection, retention, management and evaluation of all outside counsel.
- Advises on legal aspects of the company’s financing, including assessing and advising on current and future business structures and legal entities
- Law degree
- Admitted to the bar
- 3-6 years of work experience in law firm environment
- Experience as a practicing litigation lawyer, preferably with a prominent national law firm before moving to an in-house position
- Experience working on matters of corporate governance and with a board of directors
- Experience managing in-house attorneys and supervising support staff in a corporation
- Experience with cost-effective management of outside legal resources
- Experience in directing strategy and managing complex IP litigation cases
- Experience in the aerospace industry (preferred)
- US CITIZENSHIP OR PERMANENT RESIDENCY IS REQUIRED