Systems Development Engineer
Ursa Major’s team moves fast and does a lot with little. We are looking for a skilled, fast learning individual who can contribute to our engine development. The role will be responsible for systems level analysis to support engine development testing.
- Correlate system models of rocket engine test data to provide accurate predictions of engine operation
- Use system models to provide day to day guidance on engine or component test steady state operation and transient valve sequencing
- Provide input on ways to improve engine performance
- Communicate analysis results to the team
- Test engines, pumps, and valves, including integration into our test facilities
- Test planning, risk assessments and mitigations, test set up, execution, post-test data review, and performance analysis
- Assist with test schedule estimation and execution
- Troubleshoot instrumentation and hardware issues to facilitate rapid testing
- Develop test support software and equipment to improve test frequency and quality
- Identify and solve test-related problems
- Minimum of either a B.S. degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering + 2 years experience in system modeling OR an M.S. in mechanical or aerospace engineering with experimental lab and system modeling experience.
- Working knowledge of engines, pumps, valves, regulators, check valves, as well as electric and pneumatic valves, actuators, and other fluid system components
- Knowledge of instrumentation including pressure transducers, thermocouples, load cells, and accelerometers.
- A strong background in thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and power systems
- Proficient in programming
- Understanding of numerical methods
- Ability to work effectively in teams
- Ability to be self-directed and balance several tasks at one time
- Ability to communicate analysis results effectively
- MUST BE A US CITIZEN OR PERMANENT RESIDENT
- Knowledge of ROCETS or equivalent is strongly desired
- Knowledge of FORTRAN.
- Familiarity with LabVIEW, Python, Winplot, or other control, data acquisition, and reduction software
- Hands-on experience with building engine assemblies and subassemblies for test