Director of Data Science
San Francisco or Remote /
Loom Team – Engineering /
Loom is on a mission to empower everyone at work to communicate more effectively, wherever they are. We are already trusted by over 4M users across 90k+ companies. Our customers are global and use Loom at work at world-class companies including HubSpot, Square, Uber, GrubHub, and LinkedIn.
Founded in 2016, Loom has raised $73 million from top-tier investors including Sequoia Capital, Kleiner Perkins, the Slack Fund, and the founders of Instagram, Figma, and Front.
Loom is looking for an experienced and empathetic Director to lead our Data Team, scale it up, lead it, and inspire everyone they interact with. The Data Team is responsible for data engineering, data science and data analytics efforts across Loom. Your team will own all of the infrastructure that supports data efforts and you will work cross-functionally to help identify new work and deliver insights to multiple teams across the company. You will work closely with stakeholders to define the data roadmap, make necessary infrastructure and engineering investments, make hiring and scope recommendations, and deliver against them. You have a technical background, though you aren’t expected to write code in the critical path. You are an inclusive leader with a curiosity for technology and it shows in your engagement with your peers and the team. Given Loom is a remote-first company, you ideally have experience managing remote and / or distributed teams.
- You will lead and manage our Data Team, working closely with multiple functional stakeholders within the company, including engineering, go-to-market, product and finance to deliver on the key data needs within the company to help accelerate decision making and inform future investments.
- You will manage data engineering, data science and our analytics team, understanding the unique growth and development needs of each area, fostering a collaborative environment and building a world class data organization.
- You will manage and advise our Data Team on technical house-keeping initiatives and ensure we are able to consistently improve the scalability, quality and performance of our data infrastructure for the long term.
- You are a business minded leader, with proven experience contributing key learnings that have helped the organization execute effectively and grow to the next level.
- You will recruit, hire and train your team, building a sense of belonging and emotional safety. Growing each member from a place of empathy and good intentions.
- You will help pair and brainstorm with engineers, data scientists and analysts on architectural and technical topics and foster an environment of learning and growth.
What We're Looking For:
- Managed a team of 5 or more data scientists, data engineers or analysts
- 10+ years of professional full-time experience working with data teams
- 5+ years of management experienceLed projects with multiple stakeholders and helped drive towards clarity and decision velocity
- Enterprise or teams-oriented product experience
- Track record of hiring, retaining, and growing engineering, data science and analyst talent
- Track record of shipping new products and iterating on them over time
Perks at Loom:
* Competitive compensation and equity package
* 99% company paid medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees and dependents (for US employees)
* Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA)
* Healthcare reimbursement (for International employees)
* Life insurance
* Long-term disability insurance
* 401(k) with 5% company matching
* Professional development reimbursement
* Mental health and wellness reimbursement
* Gym reimbursement
* Unlimited PTO
* Paid parental leave
* Remote work opportunities
* Yearly off-site retreats (this year was in Barbados)
SF office perks
* Daily lunch on-site
* Unlimited snacks & drinks
* Remote week every other month
* Home office & technology reimbursement
* Co-working space reimbursement
* New-Hire on-boarding in San Francisco (optional)
Loom = Equal Opportunity Employer:
We are actively seeking to create a diverse work environment because teams are stronger with different perspectives and experiences.
We value a diverse workplace and encourage women, people of color, LGBTQIA individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, older members of society, and others from minority groups and diverse backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. All employees and contractors of Loom are responsible for maintaining a work culture free from discrimination and harassment by treating others with kindness and respect.