Staff Infrastructure Engineer
United States /
Loom Team – Engineering /
Loom is on a mission to empower everyone at work to communicate more effectively, wherever they are. We are already trusted by over 12M users across 200k+ companies. Our customers are global and use Loom at work at world-class companies including Netflix, HubSpot, Atlassian, Juniper Networks, and Twitter.
Founded in 2015, Loom has raised over $200 million from top-tier investors including Sequoia Capital, Kleiner Perkins, Coatue, and Andreessen Horowitz.
With the focus on reliability, scalability, efficiency, and high availability, the Infrastructure team is responsible for delivering and operating the foundational infrastructure platforms and secure cloud environment at Loom.
We're looking for a talented and mission-aligned Staff Infrastructure Engineer with strong experience with AWS. In this role, you will take an active role, leading the design and implementation across the ecosystem of infrastructure, tools, and services that the engineering teams build upon, such as our computing platform, service discovery, cloud provisioning, and networking stack. You will be technically challenged with everything from infrastructure tooling, automation, build and deployment pipelines, monitoring and logging architecture, containerization, and more. Your work will drive our key strategic initiatives that enable our engineers to deliver with velocity and improve our infrastructure to handle the next iteration of our recording experiences.
* We are currently hiring remotely in the United States and Canada
- Design, implement and monitor enterprise-grade secure fault-tolerant AWS cloud infrastructure
- Lead our infrastructure automation effort leveraging Kubernetes, Terraform and Helm
- Be the thought leader for technical design and cultivate innovation by driving cross-collaboration and execution of projects across multiple teams
- Continuously evaluate and identify current system bottlenecks, and drive action plan to improve the scalability of our infrastructure for 10x-100x growth
- Work with extended teams to manage systems and infrastructure required for ongoing development and releases
- Mentor and grow other team members on scalable, resilient techniques, and best practice standards
What We're Looking For
- 5+ years of experience in Linux System Administration
- 3+ years of experience with AWS in an enterprise environment; strong knowledge of AWS services and security required
- 3+ years of experience leading and partnering with other senior engineers
- Hands-on technical leadership experience leading project teams and setting technical direction
- Proven track record in architecting and developing distributed systems (AWS, Kubernetes, Docker, etc.)
- Demonstrated expertise for leading cross-team technical engineering initiatives around infrastructure automation, cloud efficiency, and adopting best practices
- Bachelor/Master/PhD degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field.
How We Work
Freedom and Flexibility: At Loom, we believe work is an act, not a place. When we disengage work from a location, we can accommodate a broad range of life choices. You can choose to work from home or while you travel. If you are in the Bay Area, you can drop by our San Francisco office on 2nd and Market St. when reopens in Fall 2021. We are able to hire across the United States and Canada* and are continuing to expand our international presence. And you are free to move within a country without any adjustment to compensation.
Engaging Workday: The key to an engaging workday is finding the right balance between different ways to work sync, async, text and video. Loom makes it easier for us to say what we mean without having to schedule a zoom meeting or struggle to find the right words. And using async communication allows us to free up time for deep work every day. We believe there's a place for sync time - often a conversation on Zoom is exactly what is needed. For team meetings, this ‘sync time’ is typically between 9AM-Noon PT given where the overlap of timezones where Loommates are located.
Work-Rest Balance: The way we balance the fast-paced demands of a high-growth startup and sustainability is making rest a priority. We offer a flexible PTO policy so you're able to take time off when you need it. We also go fully offline once a year between Christmas and New Year (and twice during the Pandemic). Rest is also part of the workday, not just during PTO. Taking a break for personal commitments, whether it's watching the kids or getting some exercise is natural part of the workday.
Social Connection: Relationships and connectedness matter. We are intentional about building trust and relationships through unique, shared experiences. Our virtual workspace keeps us connected day-to-day whether it's through Looms celebrating wins or our buzzing Slack communities. Post-COVID, we want Loommates to meet in person at least twice a year purely for fun. We're also experimenting in local offices as social spaces, starting with San Francisco in Fall 2021.
Perks at Loom
Competitive compensation and equity package
99% company paid medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees and dependents (for US employees)
Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA)
Healthcare reimbursement (for International employees)
Life, AD&D, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
401(k) with 4% company matching
Professional development reimbursement
Mental health and wellness reimbursement
Paid parental leave
Remote work opportunities
Home office & technology reimbursement
Loom = Equal Opportunity Employer
We are actively seeking to create a diverse work environment because teams are stronger with different perspectives and experiences.
We value a diverse workplace and encourage women, people of color, LGBTQIA individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, older members of society, and others from minority groups and diverse backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. All employees and contractors of Loom are responsible for maintaining a work culture free from discrimination and harassment by treating others with kindness and respect.