Senior Data Infrastructure Engineer
San Francisco or Remote (EST Time Zone Preferred) /
Loom Team – Engineering /
Loom is on a mission to empower everyone at work to communicate more effectively, wherever they are. We are already trusted by over 7M users across 90k+ companies. Our customers are global and use Loom at work at world-class companies including HubSpot, Square, Uber, GrubHub, and LinkedIn.
Founded in 2015, Loom has raised $73 million from top-tier investors including Sequoia Capital, Kleiner Perkins, Coatue, the Slack Fund, and the founders of Instagram, Figma, and Front.
We are a team of highly motivated and driven engineers who understand how critical the scalability and reliability of infrastructure is to the growth of the company. We are looking for a mix of programming, data infrastructure, and systems operational skills and offer opportunities to grow in both software and systems engineering.
As a data infrastructure engineer, you will help us build reliable, secure, scalable data infrastructure, and supporting systems to deliver a world-class communication platform for millions of users. You'll help us answer hard technical questions including How to scale our data infrastructure to allow for a tenfold increase in our traffic. What are the tradeoffs between data consistency and global accessibility? How can we optimize our caching layer ? How can we build a scalable data schema that gives us the insights that we need, without compromising performance?
- Help architect, build, and scale our data infrastructure, with an eye on security, privacy and performance
- Help design and implement a comprehensive monitoring and infrastructure analytics strategy for data
- Architect, design and develop distributed, high-throughput, and low-latency data infrastructure systems with a strong focus on availability, resilience, and durability
- Drive technology decisions for the data infrastructure technology stack and develop long-term systems roadmaps throughout Loom's engineering team
- Build relationships to influence stakeholders, partners, and key internal customers
What We're Looking For:
- You have a solid understanding of systems and application design, and database architectures. including the operational trade-offs of different data architectures
- Experience operating production databases (Postgres, Redis) at scale, including relevant performance tuning, monitoring, other optimizations
- Adept at root cause analysis in a distributed GNU/Linux systems environment and are comfortable tracing problems through applications, databases, systems, and networks
- You have experience working with technologies like AWS services, service mesh (istio), container orchestration technologies like Kubernetes, Docker, monitoring (Datadog, Prometheus)
- Minimum 5+ years of handling services in a high traffic production environment and determining solutions to increase stability, scalability, and performance limits of databases
- You have worked in cross-functional engineering teams and know how to enable others’ success. You eagerly take ownership and strive to work with others to tackle large problems
- Strong track record of successful practical problem solving, excellent written and social communication, and documentation skills
Perks at Loom:
* Competitive compensation and equity package
* 99% company paid medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees and dependents (for US employees)
* Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA)
* Healthcare reimbursement (for International employees)
* Life insurance
* Long-term disability insurance
* 401(k) with 5% company matching
* Professional development reimbursement
* Mental health and wellness reimbursement
* Gym reimbursement
* Unlimited PTO
* Paid parental leave
* Remote work opportunities
* Yearly off-site retreats (this year was in Barbados)
SF office perks
* Daily lunch on-site
* Unlimited snacks & drinks
* Remote week every other month
* Home office & technology reimbursement
* Co-working space reimbursement
* New-Hire on-boarding in San Francisco (optional)
Loom = Equal Opportunity Employer:
We are actively seeking to create a diverse work environment because teams are stronger with different perspectives and experiences.
We value a diverse workplace and encourage women, people of color, LGBTQIA individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, older members of society, and others from minority groups and diverse backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. All employees and contractors of Loom are responsible for maintaining a work culture free from discrimination and harassment by treating others with kindness and respect.