Technical Lead Manager, Core Video
San Francisco or Remote /
Loom Team – Engineering /
Loom is on a mission to empower everyone at work to communicate more effectively, wherever they are. We are already trusted by over 7M users across 90k+ companies. Our customers are global and use Loom at work at world-class companies including HubSpot, Square, Uber, GrubHub, and LinkedIn.
Founded in 2015, Loom has raised $73 million from top-tier investors including Sequoia Capital, Kleiner Perkins, Coatue, the Slack Fund, and the founders of Instagram, Figma, and Front.
Loom is looking for a Technical Lead Manager to lead our tightly knit Core Video team to propel the efficiency, reliability, and speed of our video creation, editing, and viewing experience. As the leader of this talented team, you will ensure that the cross-platform technologies that power our video product operate at the highest caliber of technical excellence. This team builds the technology that is directly responsible for the magical experience that Loom is known for; joining it, you will help ensure that our path towards continuous innovation continues to align with business needs and delivers at high velocity.
This is a deeply hands-on technical management role. Your time will be evenly split between people management and technical deliverables, including in-depth code reviews and authoring of architecture artifacts and RFCs.
- Develop your team, building a sense of belonging, coaching each member from a place of empathy and positive intention.
- Motivate your team and create a space where they can ask questions and voice their concerns with psychological safety
- Manage the expectations and relationships of cross-functional stakeholders to ensure the team is operating efficiently and working on projects that align with their interests
- Lead the design and implementation of features that make people reconsider the idea that creating that perfect video has to take a long time
- Set the architectural vision for our suite of products that takes into account the future scale and needs of the business, the speed of the product, and the efficiency of maintenance
- Investigate performance and reliability issues within our video pipeline that will directly impact our recording success rates, and therefore the perception of Loom's overall brand
- Work with product management to lead the creation of the Core Video team's roadmap with significant impact the company's strategy
Your Success At Loom:
- 3 months: You are deeply familiar with the codebases that are important to the team and the processes they follow. You have meaningfully contributed to the codebase after understanding where the team's pain points lie.
- 6 months: You are able to confidently review all major architectural decisions within your team. You have built a rhythm with the appropriate product teams and fully understand the team's ways of working.
- 9 months: You’re seen as a mentor within your team and across its external stakeholders. You intimately understand how your team's way of working fits into the rest of the organization and plan for making adjustments in efficiency within the next year.
What We're Looking For:
- 2+ years experience technically leading or managing teams
- 4+ years of experience working with media processing and media encoding technologies
- Passion for opening black boxes to solve an existing problem
- In-depth understanding of how one or more of the following work: HLS, H.264, Matroska, DASH
- Experience coding with languages that require memory management implementation
- Comfortable with ffmpeg and ffprobe
- Experience with realtime systems, threading, and concurrency
Perks at Loom:
* Competitive compensation and equity package
* 99% company paid medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees and dependents (for US employees)
* Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA)
* Healthcare reimbursement (for International employees)
* Life, AD&D, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
* Long-term disability insurance
* 401(k) with 4% company matching
* Professional development reimbursement
* Mental health and wellness reimbursement
* Gym reimbursement
* Unlimited PTO
* Paid parental leave
* Remote work opportunities
* Home office & technology reimbursement
Loom = Equal Opportunity Employer:
We are actively seeking to create a diverse work environment because teams are stronger with different perspectives and experiences.
We value a diverse workplace and encourage women, people of color, LGBTQIA individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, older members of society, and others from minority groups and diverse backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. All employees and contractors of Loom are responsible for maintaining a work culture free from discrimination and harassment by treating others with kindness and respect.