WHO WE ARE
Util is a London-based fintech company on a mission to change the way the world invests.
We believe redirecting global capital towards sustainable companies is the most effective way to fix the biggest social and environmental challenges of our time. The problem is, there isn’t yet a way to holistically measure a company’s environmental and social impact.
We’re solving the challenge using state-of-the-art natural language processing (NLP). Our analytics draw from academic research to quantify the positive and negative impact of every listed company, as measured against the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
We’re a small team of nine with a diverse range of experiences, skills and personalities, united in our drive to move the financial industry towards sustainable outcomes. This is a great opportunity to support us at an early and exciting stage in our journey.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
Designing and implementing data models in both relational and graph databases.
Building ETL pipelines to ingest new sources of data, typically sources for academic text or financial metrics, to drive new feature development.
Orchestrating our data processing pipelines on AWS using Spark and Airflow.
Iterating on ML models with the machine learning engineers.
Adding to our growing software backend that supports our data creation and delivery mechanisms.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
You enjoy working on problems that are outside your comfort zone.
Your appreciation for code quality is mirrored by your passion for data integrity.
You have a knack for automating the parts of your job that you find tedious.
You love big-data challenges, and learning about new technologies to help tackle them.
You excel at self-directing your work in the context of a larger team.
You can adapt your day-to-day work to reflect the priorities of the engineering team, which can shift quickly at an early-stage startup.
You’re comfortable with uncertainty and see opportunity where others see unchartered territory.
You love sharing any new ideas you create or discover within an idea meritocracy.
You care passionately about sustainability and solving big environmental and social problems through technology.
WHAT YOU KNOW
You’ll need experience in:
- Writing object-oriented code in Python (minimum three years)
- Using SQL (minimum three years)
- Implementing and maintaining data processing pipelines
- Data warehousing systems like Redshift, Snowflake, BigQuery, etc
- Relational Database modelling
-Using Hadoop, Spark, or any MapReduce framework
- Using Git as a member of an engineering team
- Remote Linux computing, i.e. AWS, GCP, Azure, etc
- Mentoring other engineers in data engineering and software engineering.
It would be nice (but not essential) if you also had experience with:
- Machine learning, especially NLP
-Any language other than Python
- Agile processes
- CI/CD frameworks
- NoSQL and/or Graph databases
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- A competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Flexible working policy
- Private health insurance
- Pension scheme
- Licensed Tier 2 Visa Sponsor
- Annual education and training budget, including company book scheme
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Tech Scheme offering electronics and tech through salary sacrifice
If this sounds like you and you’re interested in what we’re building, please apply! Feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com if you have any questions.