Griffith, IN /
Surveying – Technician /
Valdes is a 200-person, multidisciplinary, engineering, architecture, and project management company with an expert focus on technical excellence. Every client project is assigned a dedicated team of professionals who provide personalized services and solutions. The Valdes success model consists of streamlined work processes, attention to detail, technical expertise, and an unyielding commitment to client satisfaction, safety and quality.
Valdes is guided by our purpose statement: We are talented people who thrive and achieve extraordinary results for our customers.
Our core values reflect who we are, how we perform and what we aspire to:
Integrity Critical Thinking Excellence Teamwork Passion
Valdes proudly executes all work in the United States to maintain the utmost quality for our clients. We are a certified Minority-Owned Business Enterprise (MBE) and hold the following certifications:
National Minority Supplier Development Council - MBE Certification
Illinois Department of Central Management Services - BEP Certification
City of Chicago - MBE Certification
California Public Utilities Commission, The Supplier Clearinghouse - MBE Certification
Survey Technician will collect data in the field for a broad range of projects and assist in the office with calculations, post-processing, and drafting. This position will require short periods of travel.
- Conduct the necessary field work based on the details and requirements of the project
- Document the results of field work to assist current and future projects
- Participate in discussions related to projects
- Assist with post-processing of field data in order to be output in the desired format
- Produce drawings or modify drawings by using markups from supervisor or senior staff member
- Review drawings comprised of survey data for quality and completeness
- Basic understanding of AutoCAD, and other design software
- Learn and apply Valdes and client CAD standards
- Completing assigned work within the approved budget and schedule and in accordance with all applicable quality procedures
- All other duties as assigned
- Education: High School diploma required, Associate’s degree or higher is preferred.
- Experience: Experience utilizing Total Station, GPS, 3D scanner, and CAD software is preferred, but not required.
- Driven and motivated to learn new skills.
- Must be able to work in the US without sponsorship now or in the future.
- Field environment: Must be able to perform associated work duties at on-site locations that may be out of town. Duties will include the ability to push/pull, lift approximately 20-50 lbs., and climb stairs and vertical ladders. Must be able to stand or walk for extended periods of time.
- Office environment: must be able to perform frequent repetitive tasks and be able to sit at and operate a computer for 70% or more of the day.
· Good oral and written communication skills
· Understanding of the basic principles of individual’s technical department
· Knows when to seek assistance on their assignments and when to take initiative
· Has ability to communicate technical information to management and client
· Understanding and use of CAD, or specific software in their specialty and advanced level of knowledge in Microsoft Office software
· Knows where to locate and use standards procedures/rules to solve straightforward problems in a well-defined situation
Consults colleagues and senior team members when appropriate for assistance with tasks or project hurdles but does not shy away from taking initiative. Understands when to seek additional guidance from senior engineers on project/process issues and when to research the solution on their own
· Draws logical conclusions from available information and visualizes implications of decisions
· Plans, organizes, and prioritizes own immediate tasks, and raises awareness to supervisor or lead engineer when foresees conflicting priorities or abrupt change in schedule
· Completes work independently without reminders or constant supervision
Understands role as mentee; comfortable approaching a mentor with technical or business-related questions
Ability to receive direction from Department Manager and/or Department Lead and incorporate instruction into completing tasks
· Learns how the department contributes to the business unit’s performance and inter-department relationships
· Understands the importance of own contributions to team’s objectives and outcomes
· Acquires basic awareness in financial, commercial, planning, and control activities
· Develop awareness of project budgets, schedules, and project deliverables and how deviations affect the project as a whole
Partnership and Teamwork
· Can establish rapport with others in the department and respond to others to facilitate teamwork
· Listens actively and understands instruction
· Recognizes the value of teamwork and willing to share information and ideas with others
· Approachable and able to work easily with others at all levels
Dependable and self-motivated, with strong ethical principles
· Understands his/her own work and others’ roles within department and recognizes the importance of working together to meet the team’s objectives
· Basic communication skills and appropriate usage for verbal and written communication
Valdes Architecture & Engineering Company is looking for bright and talented people that want to take their career to the next level. We offer many rewarding career paths to challenge and engage our employees at all phases of their careers. Our office provides a team environment, and excellent working conditions, which allow individuals to maximize their potential. Valdes Engineering offers an outstanding benefits package including Medical, Dental, 401K plan, Company paid Long Term and Short Term Disability Insurance, Company paid Life and AD&D Insurance, Pet Insurance, a discounted gym membership and tuition reimbursement.