Senior Mechanical Engineer -HVAC
Lombard, IL /
Mechanical Engineering – Engineering /
Valdes is a 200-person, multidisciplinary, engineering, architecture, and project management company with an expert focus on technical excellence. Every client project is assigned a dedicated team of professionals who provide personalized services and solutions. The Valdes success model consists of streamlined work processes, attention to detail, technical expertise, and an unyielding commitment to client satisfaction, safety and quality.
Valdes is guided by our purpose statement: We are talented people who thrive and achieve extraordinary results for our customers.
Our core values reflect who we are, how we perform and what we aspire to:
Integrity Critical Thinking Excellence Teamwork Passion
Valdes proudly executes all work in the United States to maintain the utmost quality for our clients. We are a certified Minority-Owned Business Enterprise (MBE) and hold the following certifications:
National Minority Supplier Development Council - MBE Certification
Illinois Department of Central Management Services - BEP Certification
City of Chicago - MBE Certification
California Public Utilities Commission, The Supplier Clearinghouse - MBE Certification
- Engineer with 7-10 years of Mechanical Engineering Experience working in the facilities/architectural space such as government, higher education or laboratory sectors. This individual interfaces with client engineering representatives and other discipline engineers within the Valdes organization. May visit job site as required.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Perform and check engineering calculations for HVAC, Plumbing, and Fire Protection system design including load calculations, equipment sizing, duct and piping, etc.
- Perform code reviews to determine requirements for HVAC, Plumbing, and Fire Protection design.
- Prepare and check specifications and datasheets for HVAC, Plumbing, and Fire Protection systems, including equipment specifications, performance specifications, and scopes of work.
- Create HVAC and Plumbing system equipment schedules, duct, and piping layout drawings.
- Study existing HVAC, Plumbing, and Fire Protection systems and prepare reports.
- Field surveys and evaluations of HVAC and Plumbing systems.
- Read and interpret engineering and equipment drawings.
- Preparation of material and construction specifications and cost estimates.
- Review and/or check internal and external deliverables.
- Perform as the technical point of contact for clients and equipment vendors and participate in field / shop visits for data collection / surveillance (kick-off meetings, pre-fabrication meetings, performance testing, etc.), as required.
- Perform as the technical point of contact for vendor or construction RFI’s, as required.
- Perform code studies and prepare code study reports.
- Availability to address project emergencies outside of core business hours.
- Travel to client and vendor sites for meetings, inspections, and information gathering.
- Provide mentorship for less experienced Engineers.
- Commit to and meet project deadlines and driven to provide outstanding service to both external and internal customers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering is preferred, but bachelor’s degrees in other engineering disciplines would also be acceptable for the right candidate.
- Professional Engineer (PE) registration in Illinois, Indiana is a plus.
- Minimum of 5-10 years’ HVAC, Plumbing, and Fire Protection design experience in Government, Higher Education, Industrial / Process, Pharmaceutical / Food & Beverage industries.
- Familiar with HVAC/Plumbing design for laboratories including BSLs and Vivarium. Familiarity with FDA cGMP/cGLP requirements, AAALAC guidelines and NIH guidelines are a plus.
- Must possess knowledge of mechanical equipment and systems such as ductwork, hydronic system components, air handling and heat transfer equipment, fans, pumps, chillers, and other related equipment.
- Basic skills with technical research and code research.
- Skillful with technical report writing.
- Skillful knowledge of basic machinery and equipment along with hands on exposure.
- Skillful knowledge of mechanical industry codes, standards, and practices (i.e. ASHRAE, ICC, NFPA, FDA / OSHA / CGMP, ISPE, etc.).
- Basic applied knowledge of industrial manufacturing quality control and testing methods such as non-destructive examination, quality and work procedures, process control, inspection planning, etc.
- Applied understanding of hydraulics, thermodynamics and heat transfer, psychrometrics
- Skillful with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Skillful with specialty engineering software (e.g. TRACE 3D, AFT Fathom, or similar)
- Skillful with AutoCAD and REVIT
- LEED accredited is a plus
- Must be analytical, organized and have good problem solving and interpersonal skills
- Must be able to work in the US now and in the future without sponsorship
Valdes Architecture & Engineering Company is looking for bright and talented people that want to take their career to the next level. We offer many rewarding career paths to challenge and engage our employees at all phases of their careers. Our office provides a team environment, and excellent working conditions, which allow individuals to maximize their potential. Valdes Engineering offers an outstanding benefits package including Medical, Dental, 401K plan, Company paid Long Term and Short Term Disability Insurance, Company paid Life and AD&D Insurance, Pet Insurance, a discounted gym membership and tuition reimbursement.