Senior Front-End Developer (React)
Engineering – R&D
Vanilla helps organizations build unique online communities that are used by millions of people each month. What we do makes the internet more diverse, more useful and more fun. We’re looking for passionate, hard working people who want to help us reinvent community forum software. We offer a casual work environment, health benefits, Mac gear, free snacks and a job that you’ll love!
We’re looking for a strong front-end developer with serious React experience to help guide our product’s evolution as we increasingly incorporate React to offer a first-class web application experience to our customers. As part of our R&D (product) department, you will work in a team with 3-5 other developers to develop new products and features, enhance existing functionality, update existing architecture, and help prioritize maintenance work to be done.
You would participate in regular planning meetings, brief daily team huddles, and regular demos of your team’s work as part of our scrum process. As part of a growing company, you will regularly be presented with novel problems and need to work with and assist folks outside your team or outside the company. You may also consult on solutions for individual customers, or interact with our open source community.
What We're Seeking From You
- 4+ years professional web development experience.
- Significant, years-long professional experience working with React and REST APIs.
- Ability to work with state management systems like Redux or similar state-management libraries.
- Experience with automated testing.
- Experience with writing accessible & cross-browser compatible frontend UI with standards-compliant HTML and CSS.
- Deep knowledge of Web technologies.
- Strong ability to estimate a scope of work and break down complex tasks into components.
- Experience identifying bottlenecks, blockers, and missing details in a scope of work.
- Strong ability to work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Very strong written & verbal English language skills.
- Ability to mentor other developers through code quality and planning challenges.
- Using or moderating online discussion forums.
- Setting up & working with frontend build tooling (Webpack, Babel).
- Scrum or other Agile process.
- PHP and MySQL experience.
- Identifying and prioritizing accessibility and usability issues.
You will report to the Director of Software Development and work closely with the Chief Product Officer & co-founder. This position is based in downtown Montreal. Remote workers outside of Canada will not be considered.
Vanilla values diversity and a collaborative, positive work environment. This position is full-time and on-site at our headquarters in downtown Montreal, Quebec. It includes a 3-month probationary period (per Quebec labor law) during which time you will work closely with your manager/supervisor to help ensure you have a successful onboarding experience.
Vanilla is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.