Forward Deployed Software Engineer
Engineering – Mission Software /
Vannevar Labs brings innovative, robust, and scalable software design to the public servants working in defense and national security keeping our country safe.
As a team, we exist because we believe in public service, and we think that our democracy and government improve only if we put serious, collective effort into improving them, including the technology our government uses.
Our flagship product is Decrypt, a software platform for collecting and processing foreign language text data with a UI for enabling users to quickly interpret the data. Decrypt is driving some of our most important military and foreign policy decisions by enabling our government partners to understand and respond to foreign actors in ways previously not possible.
We are a growth startup with investment from Felicis Ventures, DFJ Growth, Aloft VC, General Catalyst, Point72, Costanoa Ventures, and Shield Capital.
Forward Deployed Software Engineer
As a forward deployed software engineer, you will work on a cross-functional team directly supporting members of our national security. You’ll own the architecture, development, and deployment of software solutions that support specific customer missions.
Your job includes everything from meeting with customers who serve on the front lines of strategic competition to scoping and implementing technical projects involving large scale, rapidly growing, and heterogeneous datasets. You will work closely with other software engineers, product designers, and former military officers to deliver game changing capabilities into the hands of those who serve our nation.
What you'll do
- Own the data and software solutions that are deployed to customers
- Unlock value within large scale text, multimedia, and geospatial datasets spanning over 46 different languages
- Write code to improve products and scale our capabilities to more customers and use cases
- Collaborate across interdisciplinary teams to plan, build, and deliver complex data features
- Travel up to 20% of time to meet with mission owners and deliver capabilities
Qualifications (Must Haves)
- 4+ years as a Full Stack Developer or similar role
- 1+ years building software solutions involving significant amounts of data
- Experience building and owning features end-to-end
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Must be able to obtain and hold a U.S. security clearance
Qualifications (Nice to Haves)
- Experience with OpenSearch or ElasticSearch
- Experience with AWS or similar
- Experience with data science, machine learning, and/or data visualization
- Experience with web frameworks and platforms such as React, Node, Redux, Apollo, or similar
- Active U.S. Security Clearance
- Salary range for this role is $135,000- $205,000 within the range, individual pay is determined by experience, relevant education, and/or training
What We Offer:
Health, dental, and vision insurance
Flexible work environment - you manage your workday
100% remote - work from anywhere in the US
Mental health benefits
Pet care reimbursement during travel
Vannevar Labs is an equal opportunity employer, and qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply, even if you don't feel like you're a perfect fit. If you're passionate about contributing to our mission, we'd love to hear from you!