Vannevar Labs builds machine learning products for the country's most critical national security problems. We are uniquely qualified to succeed in this $740B market; our founders have 30 years of combined experience across national security, government sales and CIA, In-Q-Tel, DoD/JSOC, Harvard, and Stanford. We believe our military service members and intelligence officers deserve access to the best technology American innovation can offer, and we are building great products for this mission while holding ourselves to the highest standards of honorable service.
We are looking for a Backend Engineer to build and refine our data collection processes. You’ll be in charge of scraping the web for mission critical data and then building out pipelines for those data.
As a founding member of the team your decisions today will have a large impact on the company today and into the future. We believe that simple systems are easier to understand, maintain, and scale - we prefer pragmatic, product-centric solutions. You will be making trade-offs as you work to ensure that our systems are prepared to scale — being able to effectively communicate these trade-offs with your teammates is a must.
What you'll do
- Develop innovative solutions scraping data from various online sources
- Work side-by-side with our mission team and product managers to ideate software solutions
- Design client-side and server-side architecture
- Develop and manage well-functioning databases and applications
- Write effective APIs
- Test software to ensure responsiveness and efficiency
- Write technical documentation
- Collaborate with analysts to improve software
- 2+ years as a Backend Engineer or similar role
- Experience with Python
- Familiarity with relational databases
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Experience scraping data or a strong desire to learn
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will require the ability to access U.S. only data systems
Additional Qualifications (Nice to haves)
- Experience with AWS
- Experience with ElasticSearch
- Experience with Docker
- Experiences with caching databases (e.g. Redis)
We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply, even if you don’t feel like you're a perfect fit. If you’re passionate about working on problems that matter, we’d love to hear from you!