Vannevar Labs builds machine learning products for the country's most critical national security problems. We believe our military service members and intelligence officers deserve access to the best technology American innovation can offer.
We launched the Vannevar Decrypt product in January 2021. It’s focused on natural language processing and organizing foreign language data then immediately translating and interpreting those documents for decision-makers. We’ve built an amazing team of engineers and ex-intelligence officers that made our product a huge success. Recently, we’ve raised a $12 million Series A investment in May from Costanoa Ventures and Point72, with General Catalyst participating.
We are looking for a Backend Engineer to build and refine our data collection processes. You’ll be in charge of scraping the web for mission critical data and then building out pipelines for those data.
As a founding member of the team your decisions today will have a large impact on the company today and into the future. We believe that simple systems are easier to understand, maintain, and scale - we prefer pragmatic, product-centric solutions. You will be making trade-offs as you work to ensure that our systems are prepared to scale — being able to effectively communicate these trade-offs with your teammates is a must.
What you'll do
- Iterate on new product ideas as we find product-market fit on our 2nd and 3rd products
- Work side-by-side with our mission team and product managers to ideate software solutions
- Support feature development for the Vannevar Decrypt product
- Develop and manage well-functioning databases and applications
- Write effective APIs
- Test software to ensure responsiveness and efficiency
- Write technical documentation
- 2+ years as a software engineer
- Familiarity with relational databases
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Experience building data pipelines, APIs, and/or data heavy web applications
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will require the ability to access U.S. only data systems
Additional Qualifications (Nice to haves)
- Experience with AWS, or similar
- Experience with ElasticSearch
- Experience with Docker
- Experience with Django
- Experience with React, NodeJS, Typescript