Engineer Manager, Full Stack
Vannevar Labs builds machine learning products for the country's most critical national security problems. We believe our military service members and intelligence officers deserve access to the best technology American innovation can offer.
We launched the Vannevar Decrypt product in January 2021. It’s focused on natural language processing and organizing foreign language data then immediately translating and interpreting those documents for decision-makers. We’ve built an amazing team of engineers and ex-intelligence officers that made our product a huge success. Recently, we’ve raised a $12 million Series A investment in May from Costanoa Ventures and Point72, with General Catalyst participating.
We are looking for a Full Stack Engineer Manager to build and lead a team of full-stack engineers responsible for Vannevar Labs' core product, Decrypt. You will be leading the team through an exciting time as we grow in size and evolve out of scrappy startup habits. You will be absolutely essential to the success of the company.
As a founding member of the team your decisions today will have a large impact on the company today and into the future. We believe that simple systems are easier to understand, maintain, and scale - we prefer pragmatic, product-centric solutions. You will be making trade-offs as you work to ensure that our systems are prepared to scale — being able to effectively communicate these trade-offs with your teammates is a must.
What you'll do
- Holding regular one-on-ones with your team, ongoing coaching and mentorship, writing performance evaluations
- Working with our recruiters on targeted hiring efforts to hire talented engineers
- Working with engineers on ensure we build high quality software
- Working cross-functionally with the Mission Success and Mission Development teams to build the right products
- Facilitating a productive work environment resulting in high impact sprints
- Setting priorities for the team tied to Vannevar Labs top objectives
- 1+ years managing a full-stack team of engineers
- 5+ years as a Full Stack Developer or similar role
- Developed and managed well-functioning applications and databases
- Experience designing and writing effective APIs
- Familiarity with relational databases
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will require the ability to access U.S. only data systems
Additional Qualifications (Nice to haves)
- Experience with ElasticSearch
- Experience with React, GraphQL, NodeJS
- Experience building the front-end of applications through appealing visual design
We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply, even if you don’t feel like you're a perfect fit. If you’re passionate about working on problems that matter, we’d love to hear from you!