Internal Operations – Business Operations /
Vannevar Labs builds next generation defense software for the public servants keeping our country safe. As a team, we exist because we believe in public service, and we think that our democracy and government improve only if we put serious, collective effort into improving them, including the technology our government uses.
This mission has become urgent. Ukraine is engaged in a war for survival with Russia. China regularly flies nuclear-capable bombers into Taiwan and Japan’s airspace. The US and our allies are fighting a war of deterrence with woefully outdated technology.
We build software to support these missions, including providing battlefield information to allies, identifying malign activity, and helping the US deter and deescalate conflict.
We are a profitable growth startup with some of the best defense investors in the world, including General Catalyst, DFJ Growth, Point72, and enterprise tech investors Costanoa and Felicis.
As the Controller, you’ll work not only on traditional accounting tasks – monthly close process, accounts payable, payroll, financial reporting, tax planning, and compliance – but also play a critical role in building the processes and workflows to lay the groundwork for scaling an efficient and effective finance organization as the organization grows. This role reports to the Head of Finance.
Who You Are
- You bring order to chaos. You are ambitious and thrive in a fast-paced and quickly evolving environment, but are also detailed, process oriented, and organized.
- You are strategic. You’re focused on where we’re going and build the plans and processes to support our goals.
- You are analytically rigorous. You have a deep bias towards using data and analyses to drive decisions. Your second language is performance metrics and you have a deep understanding of how to continue improving those metrics.
- You’re excited to iterate. At this point we’re still learning. You’re energized by the prospect of creating new tools and processes to make the company operate more effectively, and not afraid to make changes when the first, or second, attempt can be improved.
What You'll Do
- Oversee all accounting functions, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger, payroll, and financial reporting.
- Prepare required internal financial reporting to include the income statement, balance sheet, cash flow reports and other company specific reporting.
- Ensure the accuracy, timeliness, and reliability of financials, financial analysis, and key performance metrics to be made available internally and to investors.
- Work with independent auditors during audits, as well as assisting tax accountants in obtaining all information necessary for filing tax returns.
- Manage the company’s cash flow, ensuring sufficient funds are available to meet operational needs.
- Implement and maintain accounting policies and procedures to ensure compliance with relevant regulations
- Provide on-going review of accounting systems and processes to ensure efficiency and effectiveness
- Support the Head of Finance in communications with Investors and other key internal and external stakeholders.
- CPA, bachelor's degree or higher in Accounting or Finance
- 8+ years of experience (SaaS accounting experience preferred)
- Strong knowledge of U.S. GAAP and financial reporting requirements
- Experience in a high-growth start-up (preferred)
- Experience working with and implementing accounting systems and/or ERP tooling
- Experience building and managing teams
- U.S. Person status is required as this position will require the ability to access U.S. only data systems with the ability to obtain security clearance
What We Offer
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Open PTO
- Flexible work environment - you manage your workday
- 100% remote - work from anywhere in the US
- Mental health benefits
- Pet care reimbursement during travel
$140,000 - $180,000 a year
We use Covey as part of our hiring and / or promotional process for jobs in NYC and certain feature may qualify it as an AEDT. As part of the evaluation process we provide Covey with job requirements and candidate submitted applications. We began using Covey Scout for Inbound on August 23rd, 2023.
For details about our data storage practices, contact email@example.com
Please see the independent bias audit report covering our use of Covey here.
What We Offer:
Health, dental, and vision insurance
Flexible work environment - you manage your workday
100% remote - work from anywhere in the US
Mental health benefits
Pet care reimbursement during travel
Vannevar Labs is an equal opportunity employer, and qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply, even if you don't feel like you're a perfect fit. If you're passionate about contributing to our mission, we'd love to hear from you!