Vannevar Labs brings innovative, robust, and scalable software design to the public servants working in defense and national security keeping our country safe.
As a team, we exist because we believe in public service, and we think that our democracy and government improve only if we put serious, collective effort into improving them, including the technology our government uses.
Our flagship product is Decrypt, a software platform for collecting and processing foreign language text data with a UI for enabling users to quickly interpret the data. Over the last 12 months, we’ve deployed Decrypt to more than a dozen groups in the government. Decrypt is driving some of our most important military and foreign policy decisions by enabling our government partners to understand and respond to foreign actors in ways previously not possible.
In May of 2021 we raised a $12 million Series A investment from Costanoa Ventures and Point72, with General Catalyst participating, allowing us to take the next leap in our growth. We hope you will join us!
About the Role
We are looking for a mission-driven UX Designer to help us continue to build out our flagship product, Decrypt and to help us design our next set of products.
As the only UX designer on the team, you will work directly with our CEO, Head of Product, and Head of Engineering and have an immediate outsized impact on national security and the company. We're growing quickly, and the right person for this role should be able to work in partnership with multiple stakeholders from business development, customer success, product and engineering, and thrive in a fast-paced environment with many competing priorities, be self-directed, and comfortable navigating ambiguity.
What you'll do
- Interaction and visual design. You'll be involved at every stage of design work. You'll help define early product concepts, flesh out the high-level workflow and micro-interactions of a feature, and execute on a crisp and effective visual design.
- Prototyping. You will prototype—using software like Figma, or another favorite method—both to communicate your designs and validate your decisions.
- Rapid Iteration. You will validate your ideas early (with stakeholders and users) and are thoughtful and intentional in seeking and responding to feedback. You move fast, listen, and adapt. You rapidly incorporate feedback, and prioritize collaboration. You are adept at giving and receiving critiques.
- Collaboration and communication. You can build great relationships with engineers, PMs, and other stakeholders—and convey your design rationale to them.
- Research. Conduct competitive and industry research to understand the needs, pain points, and use cases of our customers.
- You have delivered as part of a product design team and are skilled in UX research and/ or usability testing
- Ability to work cross-functionally with multiple stakeholders
- Strong knowledge of and passion for user-centered design principles
- Experience designing user experiences, from mockups to functional prototypes
- Keen eye for details, color use, typography, and consistency in design
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Start date is flexible and we’re open to someone starting as soon as possible
- Full time role
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will require the ability to access U.S. only data systems and export controlled data.
What we offer
- Flexible work environment - you manage your work day
- 100% remote - work from anywhere in the US
- Quarterly off-site travel for team-building
We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply, even if you don’t feel like you're a perfect fit. If you’re passionate about working on problems that matter, we’d love to hear from you!