Vannevar Labs builds machine learning products for the country's most critical national security problems. We are uniquely qualified to succeed in this $740B market; our founders have 30 years of combined experience across national security, government sales and CIA, In-Q-Tel, DoD/JSOC, Harvard, and Stanford. We believe our military service members and intelligence officers deserve access to the best technology American innovation can offer, and we are building great products for this mission.
We are looking for a mission-driven individual to be the company’s first product manager to help build out our flagship product, Decrypt.
As the first product manager on the team, you will have an immediate outsized impact on national security and the company. Our product is being deployed on some of the most important problems across the government, and we expect to >6x the number of deployments and users on the product in the next ~6 weeks. Your role will be to engage deeply with our users and analysts, understand their capability gaps, synthesize feedback, and build the product infrastructure to support Vannevar's goals.
We're growing quickly, and the right person for this role should be able to work in partnership with engineers and thrive in a fast-paced environment with many competing priorities. You often will be expected to self direct, and to be comfortable navigating ambiguity. A combination of technical prowess, strong project execution, and excellent people management skills will make a candidate successful.
About You - You have experience in software product development and have taken something from an idea to a deployed product. You can turn conflicting or incomplete ideas into concrete action plans. Likewise, you can clearly say “No” when needed in order to cut through ambiguity. You’re excited about building a team to achieve ambitious goals, and bias towards action to help with any task that furthers this, whether that’s developing a demo, writing documentation, or QA'ing a new release. You are curious and have a high rate of learning.
What you'll do
- Define solutions. Identify potential features that will accelerate Vannevar’s goals, increase our ability to quickly scale, and create an excellent user experience. To do this, you will seek out real-world context in the form of user research internal expert feedback, existing product data, and industry tech investigation. You will capture core workflows and translate these user needs into well-scoped requirements and success hypotheses.
- Prioritize and plan. Set clear outcomes for our product in partnership with your engineering, design, and business partners. Develop team structures that allow prioritization of competing work within rapid development cycles. Help your team flex to adapt goals when needed, based on new information.
- Communicate vision and execution strategy. Proactively communicate goals to stakeholders and manage expectations of delivery. Escalate large trade offs and necessary decision points as needed.
- Execute. Work hands-on to deliver new capabilities across the lifecycle of the product, from initial release and onboarding, through day-to-day improvements. Validate and experiment along the way, acting as the voice of the user throughout.
- Build product culture. Develop relationships to bridge business and technical worlds. Build tech alongside prolific engineers and designers, and then zoom out to work with business development, operations, customer success, marketing, and finance teams in order to ensure success.
- 2 - 5 years in software product development, with at least 1 year specifically in a hands-on product management capacity
- Aptitude for working with internal and external stakeholders, across a wide range of technical comfort
- Proven ability to motivate cross functional teams to do their best work
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will require the ability to access U.S. only data systems and export controlled data.
- A deep enough understanding of basic front-end and back-end web technologies to consider capabilities and limitations
- Experience with or interest in working with visual design tools to communicate ideas
We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply, even if you don’t feel like you're a perfect fit. If you’re passionate about working on problems that matter, we’d love to hear from you!