Sr. Credit Risk Manager
US Remote /
Risk – Credit /
Varo is an entirely new kind of bank. All digital, mission-driven, FDIC insured and designed for the way our customers live their lives. A bank for all of us.
Varo Bank is looking for a Sr. Credit Risk Manager that is extremely interested in furthering their career in the area of Credit Risk Management. They are expected to have a passion for learning and a commitment to servicing a team of experienced professionals with knowledge of consumer credit. Varo has established itself as the first ever TechBank and is fundamentally changing the way consumers use mobile banking products and revolutionizing the banking system as we know it. Varo Bank is looking for candidates who will apply the same level of zeal for innovation and creativity to the development of our lending business. You will collaborate across a number of teams internally; including risk management, product, lending, finance, engineering and legal to ensure Varo Bank’s risk management is best in class.
What you’ll be doing
- Work in our 2nd line of defense credit risk management team
- Assist in the development of credit strategies, by understanding the impact of any change on profitability through advanced credit analytics
- Review the usage of advanced machine learning models developed by data scientists in credit decisions, in order to ensure profitable outcomes
- Ensure credit extension decisions aligns with Varo’s Risk Appetite Framework
- Manage Key Risk Indicators pertaining to Credit Risk and perform analytics to enhance it over time by proposing a new measurement metric that aligns with Varo’s Business Objectives and Risk Appetite
- Perform portfolio analysis and generate actionable insights
- Spot emerging credit risk by developing and maintaining credit monitoring reports with a view on internal and external leading indicators
- Evaluate new alternative data and determine how best to utilize them
- Manage credit-related policies and ensure they are properly being applied in our lending products
You’ll bring the following required skills and experiences
- 6+ years of analytics experience and 2+ years of experience with consumer credit products
- Deep understanding of how Credit Risk Management principles are applied in consumer lending
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to pull and analyze large datasets in solving complex business problems
- Experience in using models (developed by data scientists) to improve business decisions
- Very well-versed in SQL / Hive, and experience working with various statistical techniques and forecasting credit performance
- Knowledge of Python / R is a plus
- Advanced Degree in Business Administration, Computer Science, Economics, Math, Statistics, or other related fields such as quantitative and data-driven
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with strong attention to detail
- Comfort with a fast-paced environment and changing requirements
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria above and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you!
Varo launched in 2017 with the vision to bring the best of fintech into the regulated banking system. We’re a new kind of bank – all-digital, mission-driven, FDIC-insured, and designed around the modern American consumer.
As the first consumer fintech to be granted a national bank charter in 2020, we make financial inclusion and opportunity for all a reality by empowering everyone with the products, insights, and support they need to get ahead. Through our core product offerings and suite of customer-first features, we aim to address a broad range of consumer needs while profitably serving underserved communities that have been historically excluded from the traditional financial system.
We are growing quickly in our hub locations of San Francisco, Salt Lake City, and Charlotte along with colleagues located across the country. We have been recognized among Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Forbes’ Fintech 50, and earned the No. 7 spot on Inc. 5000’s list of fastest-growing companies across the country.
Varo. A bank for all of us.
Our Core Values
- Customers First
- Take Ownership
- Stay Curious
- Make it Better
Learn more about Varo by following us:
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/varomoney
Instagram - www.instagram.com/varobank
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/company/varobank
Twitter - https://twitter.com/varobank
Engineering Blog - https://medium.com/engineering-varo
SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/varobank
Varo is an equal opportunity employer. Varo embraces diversity and we are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Beware of fraudulent job postings!
Varo will never ask for payment to process documents, refer you to a third party to process applications or visas, or ask you to pay costs. Never send money to anyone suggesting they can provide work with Varo. If you suspect you have received a phony offer, please e-mail email@example.com with the pertinent information and contact information.
CCPA Notice at Collection for California Employees and Applicants: