Head of Integrated Marketing
Salt Lake City, UT /
Varo is an entirely new kind of bank. All digital, mission driven, FDIC insured, and designed for the way our customers live their lives.
We're on a mission to bring financial inclusion and opportunity to all hard-working Americans. Through our mobile app, we offer premium bank accounts that have no minimum balance requirement or monthly account fees, high-interest savings accounts, short term lending and solutions to help customers stretch their paycheck, build credit and start saving. Our tech-first products are designed to make money work for everyone and help customers and communities build greater financial resiliency.
Varo is distinct from other fintechs: we've made history as the first and only consumer fintech to be granted a full national bank charter by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC).
Varo Bank represents the evolution of a new generation of banks that are born from innovation and built on technology to empower consumers and businesses.
Our team combines the best of both consumer tech and banking, and we’re wildly passionate about helping our customers. Our teams are based in San Francisco and Salt Lake City. Privately held, we’ve raised over $482M to date, from leading institutional investors and strategic partners including Warburg Pincus, The Rise Fund, Gallatin Point Capital, Harbourvest Partners, Progressive Insurance, and Russell Westbrook Enterprises.
Varo is entrepreneurial, collaborative, enthusiastic, customer-oriented, fast-paced, and multicultural. This is an open and relatively flat organization that puts an emphasis on collaboration, sharing ideas and information. For a relatively early stage company, Varo is grounded in a strong set of values and takes pride in the diversity of its employees and board.
Varo. A bank for all of us.
ABOUT THE BRAND TEAM
What are we doing?
What we do goes beyond money - we believe that when people have a healthier relationship with their money, it provides them with the foundation to create a healthier relationship with themselves, and with all of those closest to them.
Our ultimate goal?
To make Varo the most loved, trusted, respected, and recommended brand in consumer banking.
How do we do that?
By creating a culturally relevant, inclusive brand, and sharing the heart- and mind-opening stories that are shared with us, every day, by our courageous, confident, passionate, creative and hard-working customers.
ABOUT THE HEAD OF INTEGRATED MARKETING ROLE
We’re looking for a strategic, creative and insight-driven marketing leader with a proven track record of progressive success in building iconic, consumer brands, including activating top-tier sponsorship and national impact programs.
This position will report to the Chief Brand Officer and will be responsible for activating the Varo brand and driving organic customer acquisition through the execution of fully integrated marketing campaigns. This position is directly responsible for brand media, brand advertising, celebrity endorsement marketing and integrated marketing; and ensures that all cross-functional groups (indirect responsibility) contribute to, and deliver against, integrated communications plans (social, email, publishing, direct marketing, PR, etc.). This position is accountable for the relationship, deliverables and performance of our media partners, advertising creative partners and other agency(s) as plans dictate.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Strategy & Planning - bring the Varo brand strategy to life via culture-penetrating brand ideas activated through fully integrated campaigns. Develop annual integrated marketing plans and oversee the integrated marketing calendar. Champion insight-driven creative and media plans via comprehensive briefs; proactively recommend and pursue research and studies that mine consumer insights; test and iterate on creative ideas to ensure relevance and impact. Keep informed on competitive advertising and be able to clearly define and execute Varo’s point of difference. Maintain brand messaging hierarchy, and educate and evangelize on its use. Develop monthly, quarterly and annual plans ; both national and local. Create alignment with essential internal partners via thorough communications, analytical playbooks, and well thought-out operational processes, that will highlight achieved brand milestones and critical wins.
- Media - primary liaison to our media partners (including our multi-year, multi-million dollar media partnership with iHeart Media). Develop and implement comprehensive up-funnel, brand media plans on a rolling basis. Track and report on market impact of media program and proactively pursue optimization. Coordinate with performance marketing and analytics teams on funnel dynamics to drive conversion. Collaborate with our Research team on brand health and other tracking. Total budget accountability - >$30MM.
- Advertising Development - direct internal creative resources and external speciality resources in the development and production of brand advertising; including broadcast (television, radio, podcasts, OOH, print and digital as plans dictate). Track and report effectiveness of advertising program and proactively pursue optimization. Accountable for advertising production budget - >$3MM.
- Celebrity Sponsorships and Endorsements - responsible for current and future, primary celebrity endorsement programs including talent management, contract oversight, and all integrated marketing campaign components. Direct responsibility for above-the-line advertising.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE THAT'LL HELP YOU BE GREAT
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably with a concentration in brand, advertising, marketing, or communications.
- Minimum of 12 years of successful advertising & media or integrated marketing experience on client or agency side; major consumer brand and major advertising and media agency management experience
- Proven success in developing and managing national advertising campaigns for leading consumer brands; national media plans
- Proven track-record of activating A-list celebrity endorsement partnerships that delivered stellar business results
- Experience reporting on campaign performance and media ROI
- The ability to adapt on the fly to changing requirements in a competitively charged environment and be willing to try new things in order to drive execution that successfully differentiates our product among a vast number of competitors
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and a willingness to travel
- The ability to multitask and manage multiple projects simultaneously across various audiences
- Strong cross-group and cross-division collaboration skills
- The ability to think differently, challenge conventional wisdom, and drive new best practices
- Consumer Brand Management
- Media Planning >$30M annual working media budget
- Top-tier Advertising Agency Management and Creative Development
- Marketing Plan Development and Implementation
- Proven track record of activating A-List Celebrity assets
Varo is entrepreneurial, collaborative, enthusiastic, customer-oriented, fast-paced, and multicultural. This is an open and relatively flat organization that puts an emphasis on collaboration, sharing ideas and information. For a relatively early stage company, Varo is grounded in a strong set of values and takes pride in the diversity of its employees.
OUR CORE VALUES
Customers First: Understand the problems our customers are trying to solve. Respond with a sense of urgency. Build relationships that result in loyalty. Be data and insights-driven. Test everything. Achieve results through strong execution. Build a product people love. Assess new initiatives with the customers’ interest in mind. Act with empathy.
Take Ownership: Bias towards action. Have high standards. Be accountable for the results of your work, our product, our company. Trust others to own it.
Respect: Treat others how you want to be treated. Listen first before being heard. Speak the truth even when it's not easy. Assume best intentions. Bring your full self to work.
Stay Curious: Ask why. Dare to make things better. Learn something new each day (even from mistakes). Be open to growth. Develop creative solutions.
Make it Better: Think big. Set high goals. Work towards long term value rather than short term wins. Create change. Be resilient.
Varo is an equal opportunity employer. Varo embraces diversity and we are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Learn more about Varo by following us:
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/varomoney
Instagram - www.instagram.com/varobank
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/company/varobank
Twitter - https://twitter.com/varobank
Engineering Blog - https://medium.com/engineering-varo
SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/varobank
Beware of fraudulent job postings!
Varo will never ask for payment to process documents, refer you to a third party to process applications or visas, or ask you to pay costs. Never send money to anyone suggesting they can provide work with Varo. If you suspect you have received a phony offer, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with the pertinent information and contact information.