Associate Product Counsel
San Francisco /
Varo is on a mission to empower hard-working Americans to achieve greater financial resilience; arming them with the products and support they need to create healthy financial habits and reduce financial stress. Through its mobile app, Varo offers customers premium bank accounts that have no minimum balance requirement or monthly account fees, high-interest savings accounts, and solutions to build, repair, and access credit. Varo’s state of the art technology provides tech-first features to help people achieve their financial goals and manage their money more easily.
Varo is distinct from other fintechs: Varo is the first fintech to be granted preliminary approval for a de novo national bank charter by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC), the first to receive approval from the FDIC for federal deposit insurance, and is weeks away from opening the first mobile-centric national bank in U.S. history. Our unique team combines the best of tech and banking, and we’re wildly passionate about keeping our customers happy by helping them manage and grow their money. Our teams are based in San Francisco and Salt Lake City. Privately held Varo has raised over $400M to date, from leading institutional investors and strategic partners including Warburg Pincus, The Rise Fund / TPG Growth, Gallatin Point Capital, Harbourvest Partners, Progressive Insurance, and iHeartMedia.
About the Legal Team
As an Associate Product Counsel, you will support the Legal team. Legal is run by our General Counsel who works on contracts, licensing and financing and with multiple outside counsels who support us on a variety of assignments. It is a small but mighty team which is continuing to grow. The team has decades of experience, but is always willing to learn new tricks of the trade. You will have the autonomy to suggest and implement new ideas to streamline processes.
About the Associate Product Counsel Role
Varo is seeking an exceptional attorney to focus on providing legal guidance on financial product development initiatives. You will work with other departments as we develop new products, negotiate partner agreements and advise on legal risk and regulatory compliance. In addition, you will help in helping to keep Varo’s governance policies with respect to products and regulatory matters. We are
looking for a highly adaptable, organized and self-motivated individual who has a creative legal mind, amazing attention to detail, and a sense of adventure are all required.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Partner with and support our marketing team by advising on marketing collateral and product claims
- Provide ideas, solutions and insights and advise the product teams on compliant new products that create meaningfully impact our customers
- Remain up-to-date on relevant industry, consumer protection, and advertising laws and regulations to ensure an ongoing ability to provide sound compliance advice
- Negotiate and draft contracts with product partners and suppliers
- Develop strong, collaborative relationships with the business
- Work cross-functionally on a variety of legal matters to support business development and innovation
- Lead and support special projects
- Work closely with our internal product, business, tax, accounting and compliance teams, as well as with external advisors and experts
- Manage projects effectively, with a team-oriented approach
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES THAT'LL HELP YOU BE GREAT
- J.D. with top academic credentials
- Admitted and in good and active standing to practice law in California or Utah
- 3-5+ years’ experience as a product/corporate law generalist in a major law firm
- Highly intelligent as well as a high EQ with exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to develop relationships
- Detail-oriented, organized, efficient and resourceful with strong follow-through skills
- Excellent written, verbal and analytical skills, with an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks
- Strong negotiation skills and ability to interact with legal and business leaders internally and externally
- Hard-working and a self-starter with the ability to operate independently with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment and meet tight deadlines
- Process-oriented with desire for constant improvement and development of best practices
- Strong integrity and commitment to ethics
- Acumen to effectively balance compliance with the law against business goals and initiatives
- Hands on, team-oriented approach with flexibility and positive attitude
- Creative problem solver with the ability to quickly and accurately assess legal risks while prioritizing and managing multiple projects with a customer service attitude
THE THREE SKILLS THAT MATTER MOST
Nobody can be great at everything, but we’re looking for candidates who are extraordinary at:
OTHER NICE TO HAVES
- Experience with advising on product development in the fintech space
- Able to adapt to quick changes in direction
- Demonstrates a strong sense of ownership and thought-leadership
- A very high level of intellectual curiosity
- A passion for and dedication to mastering the details of any project
At Varo, we are committed to living our values. We hope these resonate with you.
Customers First: Understand the problems our customers are trying to solve. Respond with a sense of urgency. Build relationships that result in loyalty. Be data and insights-driven. Test everything. Achieve results through strong execution. Build a product people love. Assess new initiatives with the customers’ interest in mind. Act with empathy.
Take Ownership: Bias towards action. Have high standards. Be accountable for the results of your work, our product, our company. Trust others to own it.
Respect: Bias towards action. Have high standards. Be accountable for the results of your work, our product, our company. Trust others to own it.
Stay Curious: Ask why. Dare to make things better. Learn something new each day (even from mistakes). Be open to growth. Develop creative solutions.
Make it Better: Think big. Set high goals. Work towards long term value rather than short term wins. Create change. Be resilient.
Varo is an equal opportunity employer. Varo embraces diversity and we are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Learn more about Varo by following us:
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/varomoney/
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/varomoney/
Twitter - https://twitter.com/varomoney
Engineering Blog - https://medium.com/engineering-varo
Beware of fraudulent job postings!
Varo will never ask for payment to process documents, refer you to a third party to process applications or visas, or ask you to pay costs. Never send money to anyone suggesting they can provide work with Varo. If you suspect you have received a phony offer, please e-mail email@example.com with the pertinent information and contact information. Varo takes this matter seriously, and is working closely with the appropriate authorities to effectively address the issue.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We hope to hear you say, "I'm in!"