Principal Engineer, Data Engineering
Data – Data Engineering /
Varo is an entirely new kind of bank. All digital, mission-driven, FDIC insured and designed for the way our customers live their lives. A bank for all of us.
We’re looking to hire a Principal Engineer to lead and develop our data platform capabilities. In this role you will act as the lead individual contributor, while also managing our onshore and offshore engineering talent. The Data Engineering team collaborates closely with product, data science and machine learning teams to design, build, and scale high leverage datasets that enable analytics, and experimentation. As a Data Engineering leader, you will establish and drive a vision for data architecture and data quality across multiple company verticals. If you are interested in working with an impressive team of Data pros who collaborate and challenge each other, and want to solve interesting problems to propel the company’s growth, apply now!
What you'll be doing
- Develop and execute a roadmap to build and optimize foundational datasets to ensure delivery of high-quality ergonomic data across multiple company verticals
- Develop and execute a roadmap to establish data quality as a given, at scale
- Oversee the design, development, and maintenance of data pipelines and ETL processes to ensure the efficient and reliable movement of data from various sources to the data warehouse or other target systems
- Partner with data platform teams to identify opportunities to improve infrastructure and influence their roadmaps accordingly
- Inform architectural decisions, establish best practices, develop lean scalable processes, and contribute to the overall direction of the data organization
- Establish a collaborative culture that thrives on innovation and impact
You'll bring the following required experiences and skills
- 8+ years experience in data engineering or data architecture
- 8+ years of experience in developing robust data models based off of structured and unstructured sources at massive scale
- 2+ years experience as a manager, who successfully managed multiple individual contributors
- Extensive experience with big data platforms (Apache Spark, Presto, Amazon Glue, Amazon EMR), data warehouses (Amazon Redshift, Snowflake), container management systems (Kubernetes, Amazon ECS), modern data workflows (Apache Airflow), and data visualization platforms (Tableau, Looker)
- Bonus – Prior experience with AI/ML tools (Amazon Sagemaker, Azure ML Studio, Tecton) is a plus, as you will be partnering closely with the data science and ML engineering teams
- Bonus – Prior experience with streaming data ingestion and analytics (Amazon Kinesis, Apache Kafka)
- An ability to explain complex concepts in easy-to-understand ways and navigate environments where problems are not well-defined (and evolve quickly)
- Experience leveraging your excellent communication skills to thrive in areas where problems are not well-defined and evolve quickly
- Experience proactively identifying opportunities to improve ETL and dashboard performance and cost
- Excellent cross-functional communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria above and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you!
Varo launched in 2017 with the vision to bring the best of fintech into the regulated banking system. We’re a new kind of bank – all-digital, mission-driven, FDIC-insured, and designed around the modern American consumer.
As the first consumer fintech to be granted a national bank charter in 2020, we make financial inclusion and opportunity for all a reality by empowering everyone with the products, insights, and support they need to get ahead. Through our core product offerings and suite of customer-first features, we aim to address a broad range of consumer needs while profitably serving underserved communities that have been historically excluded from the traditional financial system.
We are growing quickly in our hub locations of San Francisco, Salt Lake City, and Charlotte along with colleagues located across the country. We have been recognized among Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Forbes’ Fintech 50, and earned the No. 7 spot on Inc. 5000’s list of fastest-growing companies across the country.
Varo. A bank for all of us.
Our Core Values
- Customers First
- Take Ownership
- Stay Curious
- Make it Better
Learn more about Varo by following us:
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/varomoney
Instagram - www.instagram.com/varobank
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/company/varobank
Twitter - https://twitter.com/varobank
Engineering Blog - https://medium.com/engineering-varo
SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/varobank
Varo is an equal opportunity employer. Varo embraces diversity and we are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Beware of fraudulent job postings!
Varo will never ask for payment to process documents, refer you to a third party to process applications or visas, or ask you to pay costs. Never send money to anyone suggesting they can provide work with Varo. If you suspect you have received a phony offer, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with the pertinent information and contact information.
CCPA Notice at Collection for California Employees and Applicants: