Associate Scientist I, Analytical Development
San Carlos, California /
Analytical Development /
Vaxcyte, Inc. (Nasdaq: PCVX) is a vaccine innovation company engineering high-fidelity vaccines to protect humankind from the consequences of bacterial diseases. The Company is developing broad-spectrum conjugate and novel protein vaccines to prevent or treat bacterial infectious diseases. Vaxcyte’s lead candidate, VAX-24, is a 24-valent, broad-spectrum, carrier-sparing pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) being developed for the prevention of invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD). The Company is re-engineering the way highly complex immunizations are made through modern synthetic techniques, including advanced chemistry and our exclusively licensed XpressCFTM cell-free protein synthesis platform. Unlike conventional cell-based approaches, the Company’s system for producing difficult-to-make proteins and antigens is intended to accelerate its ability to efficiently create and deliver high-fidelity vaccines with enhanced immunological benefits. Vaxcyte’s pipeline also includes VAX-31, a 31-valent PCV candidate; VAX-A1, a prophylactic vaccine candidate designed to prevent Group A Strep infections; VAX-PG, a therapeutic vaccine candidate designed to slow or stop the progression of periodontal disease; and VAX-GI, a vaccine program designed to prevent Shigella. The Company is driven to eradicate or treat invasive bacterial infections, which have serious and costly health consequences when left unchecked. For more information, visit www.vaxcyte.com.
Vaxcyte, headquartered in San Carlos, CA, went public in June 2020 and currently has a team of approximately 180 employees and anticipates continued, significant growth. Following equity offerings in October 2022 and April 2023, which generated over $1.1 billion in net proceeds, the Company’s balance sheet is further strengthened to advance its pipeline of novel vaccines, including VAX-24. These financings followed positive data readouts from Vaxcyte’s Phase 1/2 proof-of-concept study evaluating VAX-24 in adults aged 18-64 and Phase 2 study in adults 65 and older. The Company believes these results support a best-in-class potential for VAX-24, which was designed to replace the current standard-of-care in adults and children. VAX-24 is being investigated for the prevention of IPD, which can be most serious for infants, young children, older adults and those with immune deficiencies or certain chronic health conditions. Given the global impact of pneumococcal disease remains significant, the public health community continues to advocate for vaccines that can offer broader protection to prevent IPD. Vaxcyte’s PCV franchise, consisting of VAX-24 and VAX-31, is designed specifically to address this need and has the potential to deliver the broadest protection for this very serious disease. We believe that our PCVs could receive regulatory approval based on successful completion of clinical studies utilizing well-defined surrogate immune endpoints, consistent with how other PCVs have obtained regulatory approval in the past, rather than requiring clinical field efficacy studies.
Vaxcyte is looking for an enthusiastic and talented individual to join our Analytical Development team. The ideal candidate will have background and experience with mass spectrometry. In this laboratory-based position, the primary responsibility of the candidate will be to support the development of mass spectrometry based and other types of analytical methods for characterization of novel conjugate and protein vaccines and their in-process products. The candidate will work in a fast-paced environment, must be a collaborative team player, has a strong desire to learn new techniques and ideas, and be committed to Vaxcyte’s mission.
- Prepare samples, execute analytical procedures, and perform data analysis.
- Develop and implement mass spectrometry-based workflows for characterization of including but not limited to proteins, conjugates, and other in-process molecules.
- Operate, maintain, and troubleshoot mass spectrometry instruments.
- Interpret, communicate, and present data.
- Author and maintain standard operating procedures.
- Document results of analyses and experiments with an electronic notebook system.
- Support cross-functional teams with their analytic needs based on mass spectrometry.
- BA in Chemistry, Biochemistry and Biology or a related discipline, with 2-4 years of relevant experience, or MS with 1-3 years of experience.
- Basic knowledge on mass spectrometry- technologies.
- Highly organized, strong attention to details and excellent record keeping/documentation abilities.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with other team members.
- Ability to follow instructions and protocols.
- Experience with Chromatography-based quantification.
- All Vaxcyte employees require vaccination against COVID-19.
Reports to: Sr. Scientist, Analytical Development
Location: San Carlos, CA
The compensation package will be competitive and includes comprehensive benefits and an equity component.
Salary Range: $72,000 - $85,000
Send resumes to:
825 Industrial Road, Suite 300
San Carlos, CA 94070