Sr. Associate Scientist, Conjugation Development
San Carlos, California /
Conjugation Development /
Vaxcyte, Inc. (Nasdaq: PCVX) is a vaccine innovation company engineering high-fidelity vaccines to protect humankind from the consequences of bacterial diseases. The Company is developing broad-spectrum conjugate and novel protein vaccines to prevent or treat bacterial infectious diseases. Vaxcyte’s lead candidate, VAX-24, is a 24-valent, broad-spectrum, carrier-sparing pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) being developed for the prevention of invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD). The Company is re-engineering the way highly complex immunizations are made through modern synthetic techniques, including advanced chemistry and our exclusively licensed XpressCFTM cell-free protein synthesis platform. Unlike conventional cell-based approaches, the Company’s system for producing difficult-to-make proteins and antigens is intended to accelerate its ability to efficiently create and deliver high-fidelity vaccines with enhanced immunological benefits. Vaxcyte’s pipeline also includes VAX-31, a 31-valent PCV candidate; VAX-A1, a prophylactic vaccine candidate designed to prevent Group A Strep infections; VAX-PG, a therapeutic vaccine candidate designed to slow or stop the progression of periodontal disease; and VAX-GI, a vaccine program designed to prevent Shigella. The Company is driven to eradicate or treat invasive bacterial infections, which have serious and costly health consequences when left unchecked. For more information, visit www.vaxcyte.com.
Vaxcyte, headquartered in San Carlos, CA, went public in June 2020 and currently has a team of approximately 180 employees and anticipates continued, significant growth. Following equity offerings in October 2022 and April 2023, which generated over $1.1 billion in net proceeds, the Company’s balance sheet is further strengthened to advance its pipeline of novel vaccines, including VAX-24. These financings followed positive data readouts from Vaxcyte’s Phase 1/2 proof-of-concept study evaluating VAX-24 in adults aged 18-64 and Phase 2 study in adults 65 and older. The Company believes these results support a best-in-class potential for VAX-24, which was designed to replace the current standard-of-care in adults and children. VAX-24 is being investigated for the prevention of IPD, which can be most serious for infants, young children, older adults and those with immune deficiencies or certain chronic health conditions. Given the global impact of pneumococcal disease remains significant, the public health community continues to advocate for vaccines that can offer broader protection to prevent IPD. Vaxcyte’s PCV franchise, consisting of VAX-24 and VAX-31, is designed specifically to address this need and has the potential to deliver the broadest protection for this very serious disease. We believe that our PCVs could receive regulatory approval based on successful completion of clinical studies utilizing well-defined surrogate immune endpoints, consistent with how other PCVs have obtained regulatory approval in the past, rather than requiring clinical field efficacy studies.
Vaxcyte is looking for a Senior Associate Scientist, Conjugation Development who will contribute to the development of a robust process for generating the company’s proprietary pneumococcal conjugate vaccine. Specifically, this will include synthesis, purification, and analytical characterization of chemically modified polysaccharides and polysaccharide-protein conjugates. The ideal candidate will have an excellent understanding of analytical chemistry principles and significant laboratory experience. The successful candidate will be expected to optimize and troubleshoot the synthesis and purification procedures. The candidate will also contribute when needed to a range of related areas such as analytical development and stability studies. Responsibilities will additionally include record management, data presentation at group meetings, and contributing to the authorship of laboratory protocols and development reports.
- Optimize and troubleshoot multi-step syntheses of protein-polysaccharide conjugates.
- Purify polysaccharides and conjugates using a variety of methods including dialysis, size-exclusion chromatography, and tangential flow filtration (TFF).
- Analyze polysaccharides and conjugates with methods including colorimetric assays, HPLC assays, and SEC-MALS.
- Maintain highly organized records to enable optimization and assessment of reproducibility.
- Track inventory of reagents critical to conjugation development, and make purchases to replenish when necessary.
- Attend team meetings ready to provide updates on conjugation development progress.
- · Degree in chemistry, biochemistry, or related field with 5+ (BS) or 3+ (MS) years of industry experience.
- · Experience with laboratory-scale protein purification methods such as dialysis, diafiltration and size-exclusion chromatography. Experience with tangential flow filtration (TFF) is desirable.
- · Working knowledge of analytical methods including colorimetric assays, size-exclusion chromatography (SEC), and SDS-PAGE for characterization of reaction products.
- · Experience performing protein conjugation reactions is desirable.
- · Experience with chemical modification of polysaccharides is desirable.
- · Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- · Strong interpersonal skills; ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in written formats.
- · Self-starter; ability to work in a fast-paced, cross-functional environment and collaborate effectively with other team members.
- · Enthusiasm to learn the new skills and techniques necessary to tackle problems outside of current area of expertise.
- · All Vaxcyte employees require vaccination against COVID-19.
Reports to: Group Leader, Conjugation Development
Location: San Carlos, CA
The compensation package will be competitive and includes comprehensive benefits and an equity component.
Salary Range: $107,000 - $117,000
Send resumes to: email@example.com
825 Industrial Road, Suite 300
San Carlos, CA 94070