Sr. Project Manager
San Carlos, California /
Program Management /
Vaxcyte, Inc. (Nasdaq: PCVX) is a vaccine innovation company engineering high-fidelity vaccines to protect humankind from the consequences of bacterial diseases. The Company is developing broad-spectrum conjugate and novel protein vaccines to prevent or treat bacterial infectious diseases. Vaxcyte’s lead candidate, VAX-24, is a 24-valent, broad-spectrum, carrier-sparing pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) being developed for the prevention of invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD). The Company is re-engineering the way highly complex immunizations are made through modern synthetic techniques, including advanced chemistry and our exclusively licensed XpressCFTM cell-free protein synthesis platform. Unlike conventional cell-based approaches, the Company’s system for producing difficult-to-make proteins and antigens is intended to accelerate its ability to efficiently create and deliver high-fidelity vaccines with enhanced immunological benefits. Vaxcyte’s pipeline also includes VAX-31, a 31-valent PCV candidate; VAX-A1, a prophylactic vaccine candidate designed to prevent Group A Strep infections; VAX-PG, a therapeutic vaccine candidate designed to slow or stop the progression of periodontal disease; and VAX-GI, a vaccine program designed to prevent Shigella. The Company is driven to eradicate or treat invasive bacterial infections, which have serious and costly health consequences when left unchecked. For more information, visit www.vaxcyte.com.
Vaxcyte, headquartered in San Carlos, CA, went public in June 2020 and currently has a team of approximately 180 employees and anticipates continued, significant growth. Following equity offerings in October 2022 and April 2023, which generated over $1.1 billion in net proceeds, the Company’s balance sheet is further strengthened to advance its pipeline of novel vaccines, including VAX-24. These financings followed positive data readouts from Vaxcyte’s Phase 1/2 proof-of-concept study evaluating VAX-24 in adults aged 18-64 and Phase 2 study in adults 65 and older. The Company believes these results support a best-in-class potential for VAX-24, which was designed to replace the current standard-of-care in adults and children. VAX-24 is being investigated for the prevention of IPD, which can be most serious for infants, young children, older adults and those with immune deficiencies or certain chronic health conditions. Given the global impact of pneumococcal disease remains significant, the public health community continues to advocate for vaccines that can offer broader protection to prevent IPD. Vaxcyte’s PCV franchise, consisting of VAX-24 and VAX-31, is designed specifically to address this need and has the potential to deliver the broadest protection for this very serious disease. We believe that our PCVs could receive regulatory approval based on successful completion of clinical studies utilizing well-defined surrogate immune endpoints, consistent with how other PCVs have obtained regulatory approval in the past, rather than requiring clinical field efficacy studies.
Vaxcyte is seeking a Project Manager to provide management and leadership to the product development team in developing and executing integrated strategic and operational plans for a project from Late-Stage Research (IND Nomination) through clinical development. The Project Manager will ensure adherence to the development plan and strategy, identify issues, promote contingency planning, and facilitate information flow between team members and senior management.
- Provide project management expertise and collaborate with the Project Team Leader to lead the product development team.
- Ensure integration of the project’s scientific, development, and corporate goals; ensure the product development team (or project team) achieves identified goals.
- Ensure adherence to project scope, budget, and schedule; ensure the alignment of the project to corporate strategic direction, resource allocation, and management decision-making.
- Facilitate team meetings, cross-functional communication, and decision-making; ensure alignment with internal and external stakeholders, project sub-teams and functional area partners.
- In collaboration with the team leader, prepare project planning documents (e.g., target product profile, product development plan, etc.) for management review.
- Establish and maintain functionally integrated project timelines and team documentation to enable accurate project, financial, and portfolio analyses and to ensure accurate inputs are provided for corporate planning and strategic processes.
- Oversee development of project budgets in collaboration with Finance and functional departments.
- Communicate, document, and archive team activities and decisions; act as a primary contact for project team-related information.
- Identify critical project risk factors and mitigating actions.
- Identify opportunities for process improvements in project team activities; partner with the team leader to ensure the team achieves and maintains a high-level of sustainable performance, by contributing to appropriate team management best practices.
- BA or BS degree in life sciences, engineering or business administration; advanced degree desired.
- PMP Certification and/or Project Management training desired.
- Five to ten years of experience in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry with at least five years of relevant experience in drug development and project management, including significant experience in a cross-functional team environment; experience with vaccines preferred.
- Solid understanding of product development activities in biotech/drug/vaccine development, including key interdependencies, and knowledge of proven development strategies and tactics.
- Expert analytical skills for integrating and interpreting interdisciplinary project information; thorough understanding of the drug/vaccine development process.
- Strong planning and tracking skills, well-organized, focused on results, capable of managing multiple projects with respect to priorities and self-management.
- Strong team management skills, including facilitation, conflict resolution, and team development.
- Proven influence management and communication skills, at all levels of the organization.
- Working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, and Project.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- All Vaxcyte employees require vaccination against COVID-19.
Reports to: Senior Vice President, Program Management
Location: San Carlos, CA
The compensation package will be competitive and includes comprehensive benefits and an equity component.
Salary Range: $185,000 - $192,000
Send resumes to:
825 Industrial Road, Suite 300
San Carlos, CA 94070
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.