Director - Data Engineering
Pennsylvania - Fort Washington /
Engineering – 814-G&A OpenData GM &Admin /
Veeva [NYSE: VEEV] is the leader in cloud-based software for the global life sciences industry. Committed to innovation, product excellence, and customer success, our customers range from the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies to emerging biotechs. Veeva’s software helps our customers bring medicines and therapies to patients faster.
We are the first public company to become a Public Benefit Corporation. As a PBC, we are committed to making the industries we serve more productive, and we are committed to creating high-quality employment opportunities.
Veeva is a Work Anywhere company which means that you can choose to work in the environment that works best for you - on any given day. Whether you choose to work remotely from home or work in an office - it’s up to you.
The Director of Data Engineering leads and manages Veeva OpenData’s Data Engineering team. You will provide both strategic and tactical leadership for the team, as well as be responsible for driving the architecture and engineering that drives business value and customer success. This role reports to the VP of OpenData North America.
What You'll Do
- Lead and manage teams of engineers building the solutions, infrastructure, and foundations that enable our product teams to deliver leading solutions
- You will assess the organization's data architecture, analytic methods, tool selection, development strategy, and data engineering roadmap
- Your work will revolve around understanding complex business models, large and complex data manipulation, and building resilient data architectures
- Identify business value through key performance indicators for viable data engineering products by interfacing with stakeholders from across the business
- Distill the needs of our product teams into precise data engineering problem statements, define the scope of data-driven solutions that enhance Veeva's competitive edge
- Be responsible for leading the design of data engineering architecture and associated products
- Assist in the planning of Agile sprints to align the team with team goals
- Manage the integration of data engineering with other teams (engineering, business intelligence, operational support)
- Translate results to stakeholders in plain, business-centric language to set expectations and drive adoption
- 10+ years overall work experience, with 5+ years of experience managing engineers
- 5+ years of experience with SQL and developing data transformations / ETLs
- Proven successful experience with modern development and deployment practices, e.g AWS / GCP stacks, Docker, Kubernetes, Apache Spark, Databricks, and RESTful paradigm for APIs
- Practical experience in enterprise software development lifecycles, including Agile methodologies
- Proven ability to prioritize and track multiple projects in parallel
- Strong analytical and quantitative problem-solving ability
- Excellent presentation and communication skills-visual and verbal
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related technical field
Nice to Have
- Experience in the life sciences Industry SaaS or Data market
- Experience working in MDM, CRM, and Data Warehousing
- Experience with Data as A Service
- Automated testing and CI/CD
- Some experience in Talend, Databricks, and Informatica
- Knowledge of Apache Airflow
- Experience with Apache Spark
- Basic knowledge of Java programming
Veeva’s headquarters is located in the San Francisco Bay Area with offices in more than 15 countries around the world.
Veeva is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need when applying for a role or in our recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.