Data Scientist - Performance Engineering - Toronto Hub
Canada - Toronto /
Veeva [NYSE: VEEV] is the leader in cloud-based software for the global life sciences industry. Committed to innovation, product excellence, and customer success, our customers range from the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies to emerging biotechs. Veeva’s software helps our customers bring medicines and therapies to patients faster.
We are the first public company to become a Public Benefit Corporation. As a PBC, we are committed to making the industries we serve more productive, and we are committed to creating high-quality employment opportunities.
Veeva is a Work Anywhere company which means that you can choose to work in the environment that works best for you - on any given day. Whether you choose to work remotely from home or in our Toronto office - it’s up to you.
Managing the performance needs of Veeva Vault, a complex and industry-standard SaaS system supporting Life Sciences requires analyzing data from our performance testing and production systems. It requires a careful analysis of test results and production metrics. The sheer amount of data generated in production and testing makes manual analysis a considerable challenge and error-prone. You will be helping to automatically detect performance degradations and correlate them to causes and find areas for improvement.
As a Data Scientist for the Veeva Vault Performance Engineering team, you focus on designing and building automated analysis tools to improve overall operational excellence and derive valuable and actionable information from data.
You are excited about statistics and applied data science on large datasets, exploratory data analysis, projection methodologies, anomaly detection, and more. You design and build computationally efficient and practical statistical algorithms while keeping the business problems we are solving in mind. While ML is an integral part of your toolkit, it's not your only skill. The ability to dissect the situation and to select from a variety of techniques is vital.
This position is an excellent opportunity for someone excited about using their statistics and data science expertise to design and build algorithms and models. Collaborate closely with Engineering to create a highly performant product and see the impact of your work on the Life Sciences industry.
What You'll Do
- Use exploratory data analysis and visualization techniques to simplify analyzing large-scale performance data and extract actionable insights.
- Collaborate closely with the team of Performance Engineers, developers to innovate, discover and deliver novel solutions for operational excellence.
- Rapidly build prototype product solutions, communicate findings, iterate & enhance.
- Draw from prior experience and technical expertise to identify product improvements and inform testing plans; break overall objectives down into underlying problems, prioritize and solve
- Work with product and engineering teams to implement performance improvements.
- Apply machine learning, data mining, and statistical analysis techniques where appropriate
- 5+ years of hands-on data science and statistics experience, demonstrating increasing responsibility and impact over time, including experience as the point person on projects
- B.S, M.S. or Ph.D. in Applied Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Machine Learning or other quantitative disciplines
- Highly proficient in Python (packages: pandas, scikit-learn, statsmodels) and SQL; experience working with AWS preferred
- Experience working with large quantities of data to develop models that work in a stable, production approach with live data
- Advanced knowledge of statistical analysis and data mining techniques (regression, multilevel regression, poststratification, semi-supervised learning, forecasting, decision trees, clustering, A/B testing, etc.)
- Experience working with engineering to roll out software to production including monitoring, and documentation
- Comfortable (and excited!) about ambiguity and breaking goals down into tangible and actionable work plans
- Strong communication skills and ability to work across internal teams
Perks & Benefits
- Flexible PTO
- Allocations for continuous learning & development
- Health & wellness programs
Veeva’s headquarters is located in the San Francisco Bay Area with offices in more than 15 countries around the world.
Veeva is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need when applying for a role or in our recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com.