Data Scientist - Commercial Analytics
Canada - Toronto
Business Consulting – Services : Comm Analytics BC Svcs /
Veeva Systems is a mission-driven organization and pioneer in industry cloud, helping life sciences companies bring therapies to patients faster. As one of the fastest-growing SaaS companies in history, we surpassed $2B in revenue in our last fiscal year with extensive growth potential ahead.
At the heart of Veeva are our values: Do the Right Thing, Customer Success, Employee Success, and Speed. We're not just any public company – we made history in 2021 by becoming a public benefit corporation (PBC), legally bound to balancing the interests of customers, employees, society, and investors.
As a Work Anywhere company, we support your flexibility to work from home or in the office, so you can thrive in your ideal environment.
Join us in transforming the life sciences industry, committed to making a positive impact on its customers, employees, and communities.
As a Data Scientist for the Commercial Analytics team, you will work with Veeva Engineers, Consultants, and fellow Data Scientists to support analysis and analytical data deliverables.
Your role will be to generate and own the mathematical and behavioural models that will help drive the generation of impactful insights and suggestions for our clients. Our ideal candidate is multi-talented, with the capabilities to develop statistical, machine learning, and optimization models, but they are also able to be client-facing, to understand the business needs of our clients (both within and outside of Veeva), and present complex statistical and machine learning models to the stakeholders.
This is a great opportunity for someone who is excited about using their deep Data Science expertise to help shape the ML offerings of the Veeva business. This role is based in the Veeva Toronto Office - 36 Toronto St, Toronto, ON.
What You’ll Do
- Develop advanced algorithms that solve problems of large dimensionality in a computationally efficient and statistically effective manner
- Design, develop, and assess highly innovative models for clustering, anomaly detection, and more
- Build and run an analysis of models and algorithms in order to assess performance and identify the best algorithms to present to customers
- Ensure models and algorithms support our customers and help them drive towards more intelligent and effective engagement with their customers
- Execute statistical and data mining techniques (e.g., hypothesis testing, machine learning, and retrieval processes) on large data sets to identify trends
- Work closely with the data warehouse product team to ensure the architecture is effectively developed to support algorithms that are reproducible for many clients while being able to tailor said models for individual clients
- Build models to help our Business Consulting and Strategy teams work with customers on how to better understand healthcare behavior to improve patient outcomes
- Provide subject matter expertise and advice on model design, data collection, and/or model evaluation to technical and non-technical audiences
- Contribute to developing and executing the team’s research agenda, including writing white papers and presenting at conferences
- Collaborate with data engineers to access data and explain data requirements
- Collaborate with analytics consultants to communicate findings to senior leaders and business partners
- Communicate analyses and results, along with implications, to technical and non-technical audiences
- Demonstrate impeccable ethics and judgment when dealing with confidential data
- Share research insights both inside and outside the organization to become a thought leader in this space
- Ph.D. in Economics, Machine Learning, Applied Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, or other quantitative disciplines with at least 1+ year of relevant industry experience or an equivalent M.S. with four years of relevant demonstrable research experience
- Advanced, in-depth specialization and experience in data analysis techniques such as classification, pattern recognition, clustering, feature analysis, NLP, fuzzy matching, sentiment analysis, A/B testing, active/adaptive learning
- Proficient in R or Python
- Ability to manipulate large data sets and develop statistical models, and accurately determine cause and effect relationships
- Excellent SQL/Spark skills
- Intellectual curiosity, along with excellent problem-solving and quantitative skills, including the ability to disaggregate issues, identify root causes, and recommend solutions, even in situations with non-standard problems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to effectively explain complex problems and advocate technical solutions to other team members and clients
- Must be comfortable with changing requirements and priorities
- Must be results-oriented and able to move forward without complete information and with minimal supervision
Nice to Have
- Experience with commercial aspects of the Life Sciences industry
- Experience working with Software as a Service and/or enterprise products
- Experience with AWS
- Hands-on experience building models with deep learning frameworks (Tensorflow or similar)
Perks & Benefits
- Medical, dental, vision, and basic life insurance
- PTO and company-paid holidays
- Retirement programs
- 1% charitable giving program
- Base pay: $100,000 - $175,000
- The salary range listed here has been provided to comply with local regulations and represents a potential base salary range for this role. Please note that actual salaries may vary within the range above or below, depending on experience and location. We look at compensation for each individual and base our offer on your unique qualifications, experience, and expected contributions. This position may also be eligible for other types of compensation in addition to base salary, such as variable bonus and/or stock bonus.
Veeva’s headquarters is located in the San Francisco Bay Area with offices in more than 15 countries around the world.
Veeva is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need when applying for a role or in our recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com.