Engineering Technician, Heat Transfer
Engineering – Heat Transfer /
Giving everyone in the world access to clean, reliable, affordable energy will require substantial expansion of global electricity transmission networks. VEIR is developing a new generation of High Temperature Superconductor (HTS)-based transmission lines, enabling long distance, reliable, low loss, cost–effective power transfer in far smaller right–of–ways. VEIR’s innovations overcome the main barriers to transmission expansion, enabling the world to access the very lowest cost renewable power.
VEIR is seeking a qualified engineering technician to join our team. This individual will support VEIR’s Heat Transfer Engineering Team in designing and building VEIR’s next generation prototypes.
- Hands on by nature. You love to work with your hands doing projects–People often call you a tinkerer. Whether there is dirt literally under your fingernails or figuratively, you love to tackle projects.
- A strong communicator keeps others informed as we work. You should understand and be a master of communicating with the team, whether it be digital or verbal.
- A capable collaborator. You understand that we can accomplish more as a team than as an individual. Working by yourself is essential, but the ability to help the group achieve its objectives is key.
- Experienced in working with cryogenics or high pressure fluid systems. You have experience working with cryogenic or high pressure fluid systems
- Experience in laboratory or research environment. You have experience working in a laboratory or research environment
- Safety Focused. You exemplify the best in our industry in visible safety leadership.
- Challenge the Process. You question the standard dogma of our industry and believe that there are better ways of doing things - We just need to explore them
- Curious by nature, you want to understand why things work and how certain decisions were made.
- Use VEIR’s liquid nitrogen infrastructure to help setup, run, and troubleshoot laboratory testing of VEIR system components in collaboration with VEIR engineers
- Design, construct, assemble, and operate experimental testbeds; build and assemble mechanical and electrical laboratory equipment; set-up sensing and recording equipment including data acquisition, power supplies, current sensors, voltage sensors, etc.
- Work safely with liquid nitrogen, pressurized systems, energized electrical equipment, hand-operated power tools, basic machine shop equipment, ladders, scissor lift, forklift, and other heavy equipment
- Be part of the “boots on the ground” team at VEIR to lead the construction of VEIR’s technology demonstrations and customer deployments
- Maintain laboratory site and experimental facilities, e.g., orderliness, cleanliness, coordination of craft work, site preparation, site clean-up, and waste management
- Record procedures, equipment, and parameters used in technical work. Capture and analyze findings and data
- Create and maintain standard operating procedures
- Associate's degree in a relevant field or 3 years of related professional experience
- Experience with mechanical and electrical assembly of research equipment and instrumentation
- Experience working with and operating specialized laboratory and diagnostics equipment such as mechanical, data acquisition, cryogenic, fluid control, high power cable test systems; etc.
- Ability to use data acquisition systems (oscilloscopes/digitizers, temperature and pressure sensors, LabJack, LABView)
- Ability to follow analytical procedures and methodology; characterize and test materials
- Ability to work independently and take ownership of projects and assignments
- Exceptional professionalism, organizational skills, and ability to interact with all levels of staff, service providers, and customers.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills across all levels of staff and management.
- Experience working with cryogenic or high pressure fluid systems
- Experience working in a laboratory environment
- Associate's degree in a relevant field plus at least 5 years related professional experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with running laboratory tests and independently troubleshooting problems.
- Experience with basic instrumentation and control setup, including wiring, power supplies, as well as associated software.
- Experience with MIG and TIG welding
- Experience in basic fabrication methods (e.g. welding, brazing, milling machines, lathe turning, sheet metal forming, etc.)
- Experience following the scientific method to design, perform, record, and report experiments and results.
Expected Outcomes in 12 Months:
- 3 months:General understanding of VEIR heat transfer system components. Is comfortable working in the VEIR cryogenic laboratory under the supervision of senior research technicians.
- 12 months:Can independently execute laboratory tasks relating to cryogenics, instrumentation, and more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, and any other protected ground of discrimination under applicable human rights legislation. We strive to respect the dignity and independence of people with disabilities and are committed to giving them the same opportunity to succeed as all other employees.
To all recruitment agencies: VEIR does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, VEIR employees, or any other organization location. VEIR is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.