Engineering/Cryogenics Technician (Cryogenic Systems Engineering)
Engineering – LN Infrastructure /
Giving everyone in the world access to clean, reliable, affordable energy will require substantial expansion of global electricity transmission networks. VEIR is developing a new generation of High Temperature Superconductor (HTS)-based transmission lines, enabling long distance, reliable, low loss, cost–effective power transfer in far smaller right–of–ways. VEIR’s innovations overcome the main barriers to transmission expansion, enabling the world to access the very lowest cost renewable power.
VEIR is seeking a qualified Engineering/Cryogenics Technician to join our team. This individual will support VEIR’s Cryogenic Systems Engineering team in designing, constructing, and maintaining VEIR’s liquid Nitrogen supply infrastructure for both laboratory operations and grid-tied product delivery systems.
- Hands-on by nature. You love to work with your hands doing projects–People often call you a tinkerer. Whether there is dirt literally under your fingernails or figuratively, you love to tackle projects.
- A strong communicator keeps others informed as we work. You should understand and be a master of communicating with the team, whether it be digital or verbal.
- A capable collaborator. You understand that we can accomplish more as a team than as an individual. Working by yourself is essential, but the ability to help the group achieve its objectives is key.
- Experienced in working with Cryogenics. You have in-depth knowledge of the industrial gas and cryogenics world and have developed an innate understanding of what is happening inside a pipe or tank.
- Safety Focused. You exemplify the best in our industry in visible safety leadership.
- Challenge the Process. You question the standard dogma of our industry and believe that there are better ways of doing things - We just need to explore them
- Curious by nature, you want to understand why things work and how certain decisions were made.
- Maintain, operate, and improve the bulk Nitrogen supply infrastructure at VEIR’s technology development facilities – VEIR operates a world-class LN2 supply system to facilitate full-scale testing of our hardware – The ideal candidate will have years of experience in the operations of bulk cryogenic storage systems and equipment to help improve the system collaboratively with the engineering team
- Serve as an in-house cryogenic construction expert; frequently supporting activities at VEIR with TIG and MIG welding as well as silver brazing skills
- Work with liquid nitrogen flows, pressurized systems, energized electrical equipment, hand-operated power tools, basic machine shop equipment, and forklift
- Work collaboratively with engineers to design bulk liquid nitrogen supply systems that are world-class regarding operation, durability, safety, and reliability
- Be part of the “boots on the ground” team at VEIR to lead the construction of VEIR’s outdoor technology demonstrations and customer deployments
- Collaborate with the experimental team, to facilitate tests and test bed changes as the need dictates
- Work with other personnel as appropriate to conduct technical work
- Exercise independent judgment and discretion with regard to design, installation, and assembly of laboratory test stands and equipment, maintenance of experimental facilities, use of data acquisition systems, and the conduct of experiments to investigate the performance of VEIR subsystem prototypes
- At least 3 years of related professional experience
- Experience with civil, mechanical, and electrical construction of bulk cryogenic storage systems
- Expertise in troubleshooting and operating cryogenic equipment (e.g. bulk tanks, electric pressure builders, valves, pumps, etc.)
- Experience working with process piping
- Experience in basic fabrication methods (e.g. welding, brazing, milling machines, lathe turning, sheet metal forming, etc.)
- Able to work with VEIR’s technical team and operate the LN2 infrastructure as needed
- Massachusetts Certified Process Pipe Fitter
- Prior Experience working with air separation technologies
- Associate Degree in a related field
Expected Outcomes in 12 Months:
- 3 months: Ramped up on the understanding of VEIR’s LN2 Infrastructure. Oversees and conducts all operations to support needed use within the lab at our development facility.
- 12 months: Is providing input into the design of VEIR’s Nitrogen delivery systems as related to component selection and helping to test and validate individual components.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, and any other protected ground of discrimination under applicable human rights legislation. We strive to respect the dignity and independence of people with disabilities and are committed to giving them the same opportunity to succeed as all other employees.
To all recruitment agencies: VEIR does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, VEIR employees, or any other organization location. VEIR is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.