Installation Service Engineer
Customer Service – Installation Services /
Velo3D is a technology company that provides the industry’s most advanced fully integrated metal 3D printing solution for mission-critical parts.
Some of the most pioneering companies, including SpaceX, Honeywell, and Lam Research, use the Velo3D solution to drive defense innovation, improve aerospace applications, enhance transportation efficiency, and produce critical oil & gas applications.
While conventional 3D printing and traditional manufacturing methods impose strict design and performance limitations, Velo3D supports true design freedom and allows engineers to build the complex parts they need without compromising performance or quality for manufacturability. In our quest to support tomorrow’s innovations, we enable parts to be printed to exact standards of consistency, quality, and repeatability.
Velo3D has been named to Fast Company’s prestigious annual list of the World’s Most Innovative Companies for 2023. For more information, please visit velo3d.com, or follow the company on LinkedIn or Twitter.
The Installation Services Engineer (ISE) is responsible for the installation of 3D printers and supporting equipment for external customers.
Near Term Deliverables - First Year
- Demonstrate competency in 2 or more subsystems within 2 months
- Complete all Level 2 (or higher) training in remainder of 2023
- Complete all Level 3 (or higher) training within 6 months
- Deploy to customer site for Installations
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Follow procedures to assemble, test, and operate 3D Printers and related equipment
- Assemble and test mechanical, electrical, pneumatic and optics sub-assemblies; demonstrate mastery in one of these areas
- Interpret manuals, schematics, and wiring diagrams to for assembly and troubleshooting
- Order and replace parts as needed
- Consult with engineering when needed to resolve problems or to suggest product improvements
- Install and commission equipment according to specifications
- Follow protocols for security, safety, access, scheduling, and communications
- Communicate daily activities, status, and metrics
- Advise management regarding customer satisfaction and product performance
- Participate in developing processes, procedures and documentation as directed by supervisor
- Participate in team and other assigned meetings
- Other duties as needed or required
- Required: Undergraduate degree from an accredited university in an applicable field such as engineering, computer science or equivalent military/technical training with related experience
- Desired: Master’s degree from an accredited university in engineering, business administration or a related field.
- 5 years of demonstrated experience:
- Operating, Installing, and maintaining complicated machines in a lab or manufacturing environment
- Customer-facing field service positions
- Hands-on repair and calibration of equipment
- Startup experience
- Military service
- Active security clearance
- Experience with semiconductor manufacturing equipment
- Experience in the 3D AM markets
- Independent operator: Demonstrated ability to perform independently at customer sites, recruiting additional experts only as required. The candidate should be team-oriented, but also self-directed (escalates only after troubleshooting fully) and display a high level of accountability. Must have a valid drivers’ license and be able to rent vehicles with their own credit card. Ability to travel for extended periods.
- Effective communicator: Ability to clearly articulate problem descriptions, action plans, priorities and results to customers and internal team members verbally and in writing. Has good computer skills to enter data and record information in reports and databases.
- Attention to details/focus on quality: Aptitude to follow process instructions. Quickly develops understanding of procedures. Mindful of details and acts with accuracy. Ability to maintain a safe and clean workspace, including cleaning and protecting their own tools.
- Committed to results: The Installation Services Engineering organization is measured by its ability to deliver capital equipment installations in a timely and efficient manner. Candidates should provide examples of completing tasks fully instead of leaving work for others to finish. They should be willing to perform repetitive tasks such as testing, calibrations, and startup procedures. Ability to work long hours when required to get the job done.
- Technical aptitude: Has prior experience in machine troubleshooting and operation. Demonstrated education or experience in electrical, mechanical, optical, software or another related discipline that strengthens the team. Learns quickly when facing new problems. Can learn and process information from diverse fields. Connects the dots quickly.
- Safety mindset: Demonstrated experience following established safety rules and regulations such as OSHA and LOTO. Can describe why periodic recertification and site-specific requirements are important to customers. Prior experience with CPR, AED, Fire extinguishers or ERT are pluses.
- Cool under pressure: Understands and reacts appropriately to customer escalations, potentially diffusing tense/stressful situations through active listening, note taking, empathy and redirecting conversation toward problem solving and resolution. Acts quickly to address problems and communicates status throughout the process.
- Acts with Integrity & Trust: Widely trusted, direct, truthful and is a person of high character. Acts consistently and in line with a clear and visible set of values and beliefs. Shares appropriate information at the right level with the right parties at the right time. Passes all background checks.
- Ability to be authorized for work in government and medical facilities. Current or past security clearances are a plus.
- Working in a manufacturing setting and standing for extended periods of time
- Able to lift a maximum of 100 pounds and stand for extended periods of time
- Must wear steel-toed boots and protective eye-wear
- May require hearing protection
- High frequency of computer keyboarding
- High frequency of viewing a computer monitor
- Other personal protective equipment as applicable
- Work is performed at customer facilities. Work may be performed in emergency and stressful situations and may include handling of hazardous materials.
About the Company:
Velo, Velo3D, Sapphire and Intelligent Fusion are registered trademarks of Velo3D, Inc. Without Compromise, Flow and Assure are trademarks of Velo3D, Inc.
Our team enjoys excellent benefits including healthcare coverage and 401(K) employer contributions. We believe in transparency and recognizing exceptional efforts through our monthly all-hands meetings and team member appreciation awards.
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The starting base salary for this full-time position is between $88,400 and $98,000. This salary range reflects the minimum and maximum target for this position in the U.S. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as work experience, job-related skills, related education, work location, and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. In addition to a competitive base salary and a comprehensive benefits package, this position may be eligible for other forms of compensation such as participation in a bonus and equity program, as applicable.
Velo3D provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to, and prohibits discrimination and harassment based on, race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.