Principal Power Electronics Engineer
Engineering – Hardware /
About Veloce Energy
Veloce is a fast-growing leader in the electrification of transportation and transformation of the grid edge. We are dedicated and passionate about the electrification of everything as a means to fight climate change and air pollution while creating a just transition empowering all. While we each bring our strengths, we drive collaboratively to reach our overall goals. Our co-founders have helped shape the solar, storage, e-Mobility and retail energy industries. We are seeking diverse, passionate, driven people to lead us further at all levels. Join us if you want to shape a just clean energy future.
Veloce Energy is seeking a Principal Power Electronics Engineer to join our team. In this pivotal hands-on technical leadership role, you will be a key member of our Power Innovations engineering team, developing kilowatt-megawatt class power conversions battery energy storage systems for Grid Edge Applications (including C&I energy storage, distribution power grid, and EV mobility.) We are seeking a highly motivated and creative individual that can lead the design and build of cabinet level power conversion systems inclusive of inverters, active front end, DC/DC, and other power electronics.
This key position will be tailored to the individual.
Job duties and responsibilities
- Every person and position at Veloce is responsible for being innovative, creative, and solutions-oriented to our customers, the company and our mission.
- Lead the design of high-power, utility connected power converters, inverters, and BESS (battery energy storage) system design in the greater than 100kW / 1000V / MW class of power conversion
- Mentor fellow engineers and Veloce teammates, work with cross functional teams consisting of mechanical, software/firmware engineers, and field engineering professionals
- Lead the interaction with NRTLs and drive the overall technical direction
- Maintain current understanding of relevant power conversion, devices, standards, and battery technology
- Develop with design verification and test (DVT), End of Line (EOL) testing, and guide regulatory testing
- Provide technical support to all aspects of Veloce (including fellow departments such as Commissioning/Service, Manufacturing, Product Management) and Customers
- Assist with or lead the development of a power conversion lab, policies, and overall safety protocols
- Track, manage, review, and approve part lists, datasheets, ECOs and BOMs.
- When necessary, travel will be required to support units deploy at customer and field locations
Education, Experience, Qualifications
- BSEE or related discipline or 15 yrs of equivalent experience;
- MSEE preferred or related advanced degree
- 10+years of experience in the power conversion industry
- Previous Technical Management/Supervisory Role: 5+yrs
- Demonstrated ability and knowledge of relevant power conversion, power, electrical standards and regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrated personal culture of inclusion and teamwork
- Ability to work on different product development efforts, test systems, various simulation tools
- Experience with:
- 1000VDC/600VAC class of power conversion is required
- Three phase power systems (protection, fault handling, etc)
- Knowledge of Safety Protocols and able to guide/train less experienced staff
- Embedded controls and experience with programming
- Energy storage and renewables systems is highly desired
- A valid driver’s license (or the ability to obtain) and an ability and willingness to travel as required.
- Contribute to development and on-time execution of product and projects schedules
- Strong interpersonal skills and teamwork including an ability to work with remote and local team members, vendors and customers in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment; Ability to communicate clearly with presentations, use of email, online communications tools
Candidates who are unable to obtain a driver’s license are welcome to apply, accommodation will be considered.
- Equity participation possible
- We offer competitive compensation, including health and other care, 401k, holidays and vacation.
- We provide an exceptional work environment, and work that will change the world
Our hardware is developed in our Center for Innovation located in Loveland, CO
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We know that a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace will make Veloce a stronger and more flexible organization, better able to create technological and social change. We believe diversity in age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical and mental ability, ethnicity, and perspective all drive innovation. So we’re building a culture where difference is valued and creating an environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best work. We are rapidly growing our company and will help people manage their careers while we create the future together.