New York, NY
Venture for America is a nonprofit startup that recruits, selects, and trains highly talented recent college grads, places them at startups in emerging US cities for two years of hands-on experience, and provides them with access to the network and resources to become company builders and job creators. The Fellowship is highly selective, as is our team, and we’re looking for people who can jump in and make a huge impact.
Venture for America is looking for a world-class people leader and strategic thinker to work alongside incoming CEO Amy Nelson in leading the organization. After 6 years of rapid growth, VFA is looking for an operating executive to help build systems and structure as we prepare for the next phase of organizational expansion. The COO will be a valued thought partner and critical team member in the years to come, shaping the way VFA approaches talent development internally and through our programs.
- A natural people leader. You help others develop their strengths and use them to best benefit the organization.
- An organization builder. Startups and high-growth organizations are where you thrive.
- Passionate about supporting, nurturing, and cultivating the next generation of entrepreneurs.
- Equal parts strategic and impeccably organized. You solve problems methodically while embracing new ideas.
- Not afraid to give or receive candid feedback. In fact, you think this allows people to do their best work.
- An experienced leader. You have managed teams in a senior capacity for at least five years.
- Action-oriented. Although you recognize the importance of analysis and planning, you spend most of your time doing and implementing.
- A clear communicator. You don’t waste words, but understand how communication builds trust.
- Someone who learns from failure. While your track record of success speaks for itself, you embrace critical self-reflection in order to continuously improve.
- Quick to get up the learning curve. You adapt to new information and environments seamlessly.
What You'll Do
- Work alongside and support incoming CEO Amy Nelson to design, communicate, and implement the organization’s strategic vision.
- Directly manage the leaders of three key departments: Talent (recruitment and selection for the VFA Fellowship), Programs (Training Camp, Accelerator, Fellow support, and other initiatives), and Operations & Finance (finance, HR, office management). You have deep knowledge in at least one of these areas.
- Set goals and direction for Talent, Programs, and Operations in collaboration with team leads. You will manage the annual internal goal setting process each cycle and align short-term goals with long-term vision.
- Serve as the key internal people leader within the organization, aligning organizational values with people operations.
- Build systems that are designed to scale and anticipate future needs.
- Advise VFA Fellows as they build their careers and launch their own ventures.
- Uphold the VFA mission in all areas of your work.
- 15+ years professional experience, especially in startups or high-growth nonprofits
- Personal experience starting a successful company
- Minimum B.A./B.S., advanced degree in a relevant field a plus
- Direct connection with a VFA city or other specific aspect of the VFA mission a plus
The Good Stuff
- You’re joining the leadership of VFA and have the opportunity to make an outsized impact on a growing team.
- You’ll earn a competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
- We offer a great benefits package including health, dental, vision, 401(k), commuter benefits, flexible spending account, and gym, tech, and professional development stipends.
- We have a generous vacation policy, plenty of paid holidays, and regular work from home Fridays.
- VFA is a dynamic startup environment with varied responsibilities and a different challenge each day (we mean it – always plenty of interesting problems to work on!).
- You’ll work alongside a team of motivated, high-caliber people.
- You’ll suddenly have less trouble getting out of bed and going to work in the morning.
To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter that explains: your leadership style; why you identify with the VFA mission; a time you failed and what you learned from it; and why this is the right opportunity for you at this point in your career.