Tech & Audio Visual Support Intern
New York, NY and Providence, RI
Venture for America (VFA) is a nonprofit startup that recruits, selects, and trains highly talented recent college grads, places them at startups in emerging US cities for two years of hands-on experience, and provides them with access to the network and resources to become company builders and job creators. The Fellowship is highly selective, as is our team, and we’re looking for people who can jump in and make a huge impact.
The VFA Programs Team runs the ongoing training, job support, and skill development opportunities that transform our Fellows into value creation engines, beginning with our summer Training Camp. Training Camp is a rigorous 5-week program held on campus at Brown University, that will prepare the Venture for America Class of 2017 to hit the ground running as early-stage startup employees and entrepreneurs. This internship runs for 10 weeks from May 30-August 4, with some flexibility around start and end dates. Before and after Training Camp, you’ll work from VFA headquarters in NYC.
We’re seeking a highly motivated undergraduate student with training and experience in audio visual set-up and support, along with expertise in video recording and editing.
- Someone who has a high level of self-awareness
- Someone with expertise in video recording and editing
- Detail-oriented and have a knack for developing visually appealing video content
- Open to challenges and a high level of responsibility; you’re an ambitious self-starter with exceptional organizational skills
- A team player who feels that no task is too small. You’re ready to take out the trash after events, and generally do whatever it takes to keep Training Camp running seamlessly
- An excellent communicator who can represent VFA professionally while interacting with Fellows, high-level supporters, and other Training Camp guests
- Strongly aligned with VFA’s values and excited about our mission
What you'll do:
- Manage AV set-up and support before, during, and after presentations or trainings. This includes for laptops, projectors, microphones, lighting, sound systems, and live-streaming technology such as Boxcast
- Organize equipment in storage areas and ensure that they are readily available for presentations and trainings
- Assist with set-up of rooms so they are ideal for recording of presentations and trainings
- Manage the filing and editing of daily video recordings
- Manage uploading and curating content on VFA’s learning management platform
- Assist with capturing candid shots for VFA’s photo libraryWork full-time in Providence, RI from June 18 - July 21, and from VFA’s headquarters in New York City before (May 30 - June 17) and after Training Camp (July 22 - August 4).
- Support the core team managing daily operations at Training Camp, including managing the schedule, preparing materials and spaces for trainings and events, networking with trainers, and other logistics
- Manage at least one major project that will serve as the capstone of your internship. This could be developing a Training Camp sizzle reel to promote the program in the future
- Assist in being a resource for Fellows and plan activities to enhance their experience
The Good Stuff:
- The VFAmily: we have a fun, tightly-knit team culture (a must to live together in Providence for five weeks!), and you’ll have an opportunity to make a real impact over the course of the summer
- The substantive, marketable experience: we treat our interns like VFA team members. We’ll give you tons of responsibility from day one, and the more you rise to the occasion the more we’ll have you take on
- The inside scoop: you’ll have a front-row seat to a premier entrepreneurship training program, and will have the opportunity to regularly sit in on trainings.
- The network: our past interns tell us that the best part of this internship is getting to know VFA Fellows, alumni, and supporters
- The perks: we offer a $3,000 stipend for this role, and we’ll cover your room, board, and travel expenses while at Training Camp (you’ll secure your own housing while in NYC)