Technical Lead- Senior Software Engineer
Mountain View, CA 94035
One reason we like working here is that we enjoy spending our time on meaningful problems. Our mission at Verdigris is to sustain and enrich human life through responsive energy intelligence. We see our work as a critical step toward inventing ambient intelligence. We expect that buildings will become autonomous, sustainable environments responsive to their inhabitants. Our product is a SaaS for high-end commercial buildings. We deploy machine-learning sensors and generate powerful recommendations. We predict failure of critical equipment, track energy demand, and inform efficiency projects.
We believe extraordinary outcomes need exceptional teams. Also, that growth mindsets are critical for team development. Don't worry if you don't understand energy analytics and facilities automation yet. As a fast learner and collaborative teammate, you are ready to help us handle that challenge and more.
About the Role
As a Technical Lead at Verdigris, you will roll up your sleeves to make strong technical contributions as well as lead major projects. You will be a mentor for a team of engineers. Your domain expertise, leadership and technical skills, and full-stack mentorship will be influential.You will partner with the Product Owner to translate functional requirements into a deliverable roadmap. Key to this is ensuring high quality products built in the simplest and most robust way possible. You will lead by example, forming best practices, test driven development, pairing, and agile development.
- Work closely with CTO and product owner to understand product requirements and roadmap
- Assume technical leadership role. Act as a mentor for junior engineers and new team members
- Supply domain expertise to improve better decision making for the team
- Design, vet, build and deploy scalable data pipelines (spanning data ingestion, ETL and machine learning analytics) and responsive web applications
- Write tests and tools to monitor, triage, continuously integrate, and repair our production environment
- Establish and maintain best engineering practices across scoping/ planning, development, testing, release and post-release
- Enhance our agile engineering practices and pairing culture
- Work collaboratively with teams to request and act on feedback, diagnose root causes, and strive to improve
Required Skills & Qualifications
- You have 5+ years of experience in shipping software products.
- You have exemplified success at every stage of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- You build and integrate microservices with seamless execution
- You carry expertise in middleware, modern backend frameworks (Rails, Django, any Node.js based frameworks, etc.) and frontend frameworks (Ember.js, Angular.js, React.js, etc.)
- You navigate AWS or other cloud computing environments with ease (like Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, etc.)
- You are adept at using container technologies like Docker
- You hold advanced knowledge of source control (Git)
- You are passionate about improving engineering practices (TDD, CI, continuous deployment, pair programming, and design/code reviews)
- You have experience with relational databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL, AWS Aurora, etc.) and NoSQL data stores (Cassandra, Redis, MongoDB, DynamoDB etc.)
- As an exemplary teammate, you believe that strong teams vastly outperform a single individual.
- You are an empathic listener who tries to understand the needs of your fellow teammates.
- You can communicate complex concepts in a simple way.
- You have a Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Mathematics or equivalent degree.
Nice to Haves
- You know functional programming paradigm.
- You are fluent in Scala or Ruby.
- You have experience in Apache Spark, Hadoop or a similar distributed computing framework.
- You carry knowledge of distributed database systems (e.g. Cassandra, ScyllaDB, DynamoDB, etc.)
- You have deployed machine learning pipelines, involving regression, neural networks, classification algorithms, or other optimization algorithms.
- Experience in building and scaling IoT products (MQTT protocol, AWS IoT)
- You know marshalling frameworks (Protobuf, Thrift, etc.)
- You have intimate understanding of *nix or other POSIX compliant operating systems (Linux, BSD, OS X)
- Equity in a fast growing start-up
- Growth-minded culture and structure for continuous feedback
- Unlimited paid time off
- Gold level Healthcare and Dental Insurance with 85% coverage for spouses & dependents
- Commitment to personal & professional development
Applying to Verdigris is a chance to join a mission driven startup. We're disrupting the building energy management industry and impacting climate change in the process. Verdigrisians aim to be ego-free experts in engineering, product design, and business. We take career development seriously. We provide broad opportunities and support curious minds. If you value open collaboration, pairing, agile teams and cross-functionality in roles to get the job done, we would love to meet you.
You can expect to be surrounded by thoughtful, funny and hardworking teammates. Here, you can always find someone to rock climb with, to run around Nasa's beautiful campus with, or teach you how to make empanadas and Pad Thai from scratch. We deeply value learning from differing perspectives and strive to ensure all voices are heard, validated, and honored.We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, origin, gender, orientation, age, or status.