Molecular Biology Research Associate / Senior Research Associate
South San Francisco, CA
Neuroscience Research & Drug Discovery
Verge Genomics is seeking a motivated and diligent Molecular Biology Research Associate/ Sr. Research Associate with experience in next-generation sequencing (NGS), specifically RNA extraction and library prep. In this position, you will work across all functions of Verge, including the in-vitro, in-vivo and computational biology teams. In addition to bringing library preparations in house at Verge, you will be responsible for working with human post-mortem brain and preclinical samples to generate data used to identify new potential therapies in neurodegeneration.
Help us revolutionize the way drugs are discovered & developed:
Currently, it takes on average 12 years and $2.6 billion to get a single drug to market, with the drug discovery and development process costing $1.4 billion. Verge Genomics recently raised $32 million in Series A financing to change this broken model by fueling the drug discovery pipeline with machine learning.
Verge Genomics is a next-generation biopharmaceutical start-up using systems biology to accelerate development of life-saving treatments for neurodegenerative diseases. Our platform uses patient genomes, gene expression, and epigenomics to identify new therapeutic gene targets, predict effective drugs, and stratify patient subpopulations for increased clinical success. Verge's approach offers a breakthrough opportunity to identify drugs that dramatically improve patient outcomes and fundamentally lower the cost curve of pharmaceutical development.
We are looking for extraordinary individuals to join our motivated team in taking on our generation’s biggest healthcare challenges: Alzheimer’s Disease, ALS, and Parkinson’s Disease. Our employees are our most important asset; we are a team of founders, excited to learn, roll up our sleeves, and make a real impact.
You will be excited to work here because you will:
- Perform and enable high-throughput sample processing and RNA extraction for transcriptomic analysis, which impacts all drug discovery and development efforts.
- Successfully conduct library prep of samples for RNAseq.
- Have the opportunity to learn across function and discipline, by contributing to ongoing studies and by utilizing techniques such as cell culture, high-throughput screening, plasmid preparation, virus preparation, IF, qPCR, or WB.
- Be responsible for evaluating and presenting your work at team and company level meetings.
What we're looking for:
- BS +2 years or MS +0 years experience in molecular biology, neuroscience, or equivalent
- At least 1 year experience conducting RNA extraction for RNA sequencing
- At least 1 year experience with RNA library preparation
- Experience with data analysis using GraphPad Prism, SPSS, SAS, Excel, R, or Matlab
- At least 1 year experience working with SOPs and ELNs is a plus
- Strong desire to work in a start-up environment
- Demonstration of the Verge Values
- A passion for improving the lives of patients with neurodegenerative disease using genomics
- Scrappiness, resourcefulness, and desire to get things done against all odds
The startup nature of Verge Genomics provides multiple growth opportunities into other areas of the company. As one of the early employees at Verge, your work will have a direct impact on the foundation of a groundbreaking new drug development model. In addition to competitive compensation and benefits, we offer perks like unlimited vacation/sick days, on-site gym access, and free lunch.
Verge actively seeks a diverse applicant pool in order to build the strongest possible workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.