In Vivo Research Associate
South San Francisco, CA
Neuroscience Research & Drug Discovery
Do you want to be a part of a dynamic group that tests and validates novel compounds in preclinical model systems? In this position, you will support our entire in vivo team by performing efficacy, PK, and other experiments. In addition to rodent work, part of this position will require coordinating and managing samples at contract research organizations (CROs). In our newly-built South SF laboratory, you will help our in vivo team discover novel targets in neurodegenerative diseases. We are looking for detail-oriented and self-motivated individuals who are looking to make a difference in patients’ lives.
Help us revolutionize the way drugs are discovered & developed:
Currently, it takes on average 12 years and $2.6 billion to get a single drug to market, with the drug discovery and development process costing $1.4 billion. Verge Genomics recently raised $32 million in Series A financing to change this broken model by fueling the drug discovery pipeline with machine learning.
Verge Genomics is a next-generation biopharmaceutical start-up using systems biology to accelerate development of life-saving treatments for neurodegenerative diseases. Our platform uses patient genomes, gene expression, and epigenomics to identify new therapeutic gene targets, predict effective drugs, and stratify patient subpopulations for increased clinical success. Verge's approach offers a breakthrough opportunity to identify drugs that dramatically improve patient outcomes and fundamentally lower the cost curve of pharmaceutical development.
We are looking for extraordinary individuals to join our motivated team in taking on our generation’s biggest healthcare challenges: Alzheimer’s Disease, ALS, and Parkinson’s Disease. Our employees are our most important asset; we are a team of founders, excited to learn, roll up our sleeves, and make a real impact.
You will be excited to work here because you will:
- Dose rodents with novel small molecules in a variety of studies, including IP, IV, PO, SC, and osmotic minipump administration
- Perform behavior studies, including rotorod, clasping, and grip strength
- Perform colony management including breeding, tattooing, genotyping, and weaning
- Assist live and terminal sample collection including submandibular blood collection, cardiac puncture, brain/spinal cord dissection (experience with intrathecal collection is a plus)
- Perform molecular biology techniques such as PCR, qPCR, western blotting, RNA extraction
- Interact with CROs for timely execution and delivery of studies
What we’re looking for:
- BS in biology, neuroscience, or related field +1 year experience in industry
- Experience with dosing routes (IP, IV, PO)
- Strong in vivo (mice and rats) experience, including dosing, breeding, behavior observations, necropsy
- Experience with general compound formulation and ELN documentation are a plus
- Strong desire to work in a start-up environment
- A passion for improving the lives of patients with neurodegenerative disease using genomics
The startup nature of Verge Genomics provides multiple growth opportunities into other areas of the company. As one of the early employees at Verge, your work will have a direct impact on the foundation of a groundbreaking new drug development model. In addition to competitive compensation and benefits, we offer perks like unlimited vacation/sick days, on-site gym access, and free lunch.
Verge actively seeks a diverse applicant pool in order to build the strongest possible workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.