Medicinal Chemistry Senior Research Associate
South San Francisco, CA
Neuroscience Research & Drug Discovery
Are you a strong organic chemist with a passion for helping patients? We are looking for a Senior Research Associate to provide medicinal chemistry and formulations support for our pre-clinical development team. You will manage our chemistry CROs that provide synthetic and analytical support, as well as create a compound logistics and request system for our entire program. By working closely with our in vivo and in vitro teams, you will advance our drug discovery program to treat neurodegenerative diseases, including formulating compounds for a variety of pre-clinical studies.
Help us revolutionize the way drugs are discovered & developed:
Currently, it takes an average of 12 years and $2.6 billion to get a single drug to market, with the drug discovery and development process costing $1.4 billion. Verge Genomics recently raised $32 million in Series A financing to change this broken model by fueling the drug discovery pipeline with machine learning.
Verge Genomics is a next-generation biopharmaceutical start-up using systems biology to accelerate development of life-saving treatments for neurodegenerative diseases. Our platform uses patient genomic, epigenomic, and gene expression data to identify new therapeutic targets, predict drug efficacy, and stratify patient populations to enable greater clinical success. Verge's approach offers a breakthrough opportunity to identify drugs that dramatically improve clinical outcomes and fundamentally lower the cost of pharmaceutical development.
We are looking for extraordinary individuals to join our motivated team in taking on our generation’s biggest healthcare challenges: ALS, Parkinson’s disease, and other neurodegenerative diseases. Our employees are our most important asset, and we are a team of founders who are excited to roll up our sleeves and make a real impact.
You will be excited to work at Verge because you will:
- Assist with the design of novel small molecules for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases
- Oversee the synthesis of novel compounds at external contract research organizations (CROs)
- Take ownership of compound logistics, including compound registration, storage, disbursement, and shipping
- Provide formulation support for in-vitro and in-vivo early discovery studies
- Assist with the management of CROs for chemistry, ADME/PK, and other drug discovery studies
- Prepare reports, patents and presentations, and present data at Verge internal research meetings
- Conduct independent scientific literature and patent searches using relevant databases
What we’re looking for:
- BS in chemistry with 5+ years of industry experience, or an MS with 3+ years of industry experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of cutting-edge organic and medicinal chemistry principles and techniques, including synthetic methods, SAR development, and multi-parameter lead optimization
- General understanding of biological assays and principles of PK/ADME
- Experience with chemistry software and databases such as Chemdraw and SciFinder
- Experience with or willingness to learn and perform preclinical formulations
- Experience with compound logistics, including registration, storage, shipping, and managing inventory of small molecules (preferred)
- Strong desire to work in a start-up environment
- A passion for improving the lives of patients with neurodegenerative diseaseAttention to detail and ability to collaborate
The startup nature of Verge Genomics provides multiple growth opportunities into other areas of the company. As one of the early employees at Verge, your work will have a direct impact on the foundation of a groundbreaking new drug development model. In addition to competitive compensation and benefits, we offer perks like unlimited vacation/sick days, on-site gym access, and free lunch.
Verge actively seeks a diverse applicant pool in order to build the strongest possible workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.