South San Francisco, CA
Neuroscience Research & Drug Discovery
Verge Genomics is looking for a talented and creative biostatistician to accelerate the discovery of life-changing treatments for patients with neurodegenerative diseases. We need your help developing a world-class statistical pipeline to analyze drug screen data. Verge screens hundreds of small molecules in various pre-clinical model systems that are relevant to neurodegenerative diseases. We are searching for a biostatistician that can ensure the statistical rigor of our study plans, analyze their results for efficacy, and automate the process into our existing computational platform. Overall, you will play a critical role in determining which drugs have a therapeutic effect in our model systems, and which drugs we advance into our development pipeline towards human clinical trials. Verge Genomics is a growing startup, with countless opportunities for your personal and professional development as a scientist and a leader.
Help us revolutionize the way drugs are discovered & developed:
Currently, it takes 12 years and $2.6 billion to get a single drug to market, with the drug discovery and development process costing $1.4 billion. At Verge Genomics, we believe there is a better way: we aim to improve the traditional drug discovery process with approaches based on systems biology, machine learning on human patient data, and drug screening in human cell cultures.
We recently raised $32 million in Series A financing to build a next-generation biopharmaceutical company focused on accelerating development of life-saving treatments for patients with neurodegenerative diseases, including ALS, Parkinson’s Disease, and Alzheimer’s Disease. We are looking for outstanding individuals to join our motivated team. Our employees are our most important assets: we are a team of founders, excited to learn, apply our scientific expertise, and make a real impact.
You will be excited to work here because you will:
- Perform statistical analyses and modeling, including design of pre-clinical studies, algorithm development, quality monitoring, and process automation.
- Play a central role in our new experimental studies from conception to completion by collaborating with our in vitro and in vivo scientists to ensure that the studies are practical, designed with sufficient power, and use appropriate endpoints.
- Create statistical analysis plans for completed drug screen studies and determine which, if any, drugs show significant effects.
- Work with our team of software engineers and computational biologists to automate core statistical analyses and ensure your results are integrated into further downstream analyses.
- Play a meaningful role in authoring pre-clinical study reports and other public manuscripts documenting our results.
- Be an advocate for good science by remaining abreast of statistical advances in the field and sharing our best statistical work with the outside world by submitting peer-reviewed manuscripts to relevant journals.
We will be excited for you to join us because you bring:
- PhD in statistics, mathematics, computer science, computational biology, or related field with 6-10 years of relevant experience; or an MS in those fields with 10+ years of relevant experience.
- Experience with biostatistical methods for pre-clinical studies, including mixed-effects models, longitudinal models, simulation methods to predict power, and models to account for bias.
- Demonstrated fluency with R, including knowledge of relevant statistical packages and libraries.
- Familiarity with large relational datasets, including PostgreSQL.
- Experience with Python is also preferred.
- Experience with data analysis in Linux/Unix/OSX.
- Excellent team communication skills and ability to collaborate across our organization
- A strong desire to work in a fast-paced, hands-on startup environment.
The startup nature of Verge Genomics provides multiple growth opportunities into other areas of the company. As one of the early employees at Verge, your work will have a direct impact on the foundation of a groundbreaking new drug development model. In addition to competitive compensation and benefits, we offer perks like unlimited vacation/sick days, free lunch, and weekly happy hours.
Verge actively seeks a diverse applicant pool in order to build the strongest possible workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.