Software Engineer, Backend
San Mateo, California
Engineering – Software
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Today, we build security cameras that detect action, identify danger and help keep people and places safe and secure. Using a combination of software and hardware, we’re transforming an industry that has seen little innovation for decades—and we already support thousands of customers. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
- Maintain the offline processing queue for reliably generating video exports in the face of unreliable remote connections.
- Specify and add API endpoints to change camera image tuning properties.
- Architect distributed real-time data connections between camera → cloud → user.
- Build a high-performance, multiplexing video transcoding service.
- Define and improve service-oriented architectures.
- Degree in Computer Science or similar field (Master’s degree preferred).
- 2+ years experience of industry experience in backend software engineering.
- Mastery of at least one common server programming language and scalable backend design including databases, queues and blob storage.
- Experience working in an agile team software development environment.
- Experience working in a fast-paced startup environment (< 500 people).
- Comfortable with Python, SQL, Software Architecture, Distributed Systems, Operating Systems, AWS, Docker, etc.
About our team
Behind the scenes, we’re a team of computer scientists, hardware engineers and experienced founders who saw a chance to make a real impact. We’re united by the challenge of building beautiful products, designed for real people—and by our commitment to using technology responsibly. We believe keeping data private and secure is core to our safety as individuals, businesses and communities and we put great care into building systems that embody our values as people. Likewise, many of Silicon Valley’s top investors believe in us: we’re backed by Sequoia Capital, FirstRound, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.